Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got plow blade back on KQ, just in time for this next snow fall, after figuring out a problem I was having, where the plow was locked up tight in the raised position. I first called the dealer and they said they had never heard of that happening before, so I kept prying/pulling/fumbling around with it, yet nothing would release the plow, even while standing/bouncing on blade!
I finally thought to pull the pin that connects the cable hook to cable loop, allowing the blade to drop, to where I could pull cable free. It seems that the 2'' metal cable clamp that holds the cable loop, had wedged itself into the wench winding's! Then after hooking everything back up, she works fine again! There's nothing in the manual warning against raising the blade all the way up, to where it would lock it up like that! I'll never raise the blade all the way up again! lol

Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out. When I go down the road for any reason, plus a lot of times when I'm plowing, I pull it up tight but it never causes any problem. At least it doesn't unless the the cable has way more than the normal amount of slack in it. I had one layer of cable go into the stack below it and get jammed several years ago. That can happen when you aren't using the plow too. When winter is over I always pull my cable all the way out, hook on to one of my truck's recovery hooks, and winch the ATV up to the truck making sure the cable is wound in nice and straight with no spaces. Since I hardly ever use the winch I'm usually good until the next winter is over, if I even use the plow. I didn't plow any snow for a few winters but sure needed to this year. I'm charging my new battery and it must be done by now. I won't need to plow the little bit of snow that's coming in the afternoon and may or may not put the battery in before it warms up again.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My blade doesnt lift very high so when raised it is up tight. I added a winch stop..rubber block..which offers a little give when winched up tite...works great for keeping winch hook up tite when bot in use. Be carefull winching tite without a rubber stop as it can damage gears. Ido the same as far as respooling my winch rope after plow season, even do it a couple times during riding season to help keep mud and crap from building up on spool. Dont need it often, but it needs to be ready when I do! Got the winch stop off ebay about 12 bucks cheap insurance!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Bought it just now....great idea! thanks

Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yep thats it, gives some compression when winching tite, keeps gears from binding. Also keeps winch hook sticking out for easier access. Mine nests right inside the roller fairleads like it was made to do. If you have a steel cable, consider switching to a synthetic rope. No frays and sharp edges and actually stronger. Has a little stretch to help protect winch gears also.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I've been meaning to buy a roller for a boat trailer to use as a winch stop/rubber bumper, like this one for $3.99. They come in all different sizes and I even heard of someone cutting one in half to use one piece and have a spare. But I keep forgetting when I'm in a store that has them, or else I see them and think, I've gotten along without one for all these years, I don't really need it.

https://www.overtons.com/smith-natur...railer-rollers

Old 02-12-2019, 01:43 AM
THE BERMINATOR

All 83 counties in Michigan are under either a Winter Storm Warning or a Winter Weather Advisory.

Shiawassee, Genesee, Lapeer, St. Clair, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, and Wayne Counties. Including the cities of Owosso, Flint, Lapeer, Port Huron, Howell, Pontiac, Warren, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.

Wintry mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain expected, with more snow and sleet north of M-59, and more sleet and freezing rain south of M-59. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of one tenth to two tenths of an inch expected. Winds gusting between 30 and 40 mph.

I'm in the snow and sleet zone. I was waiting for the snow to melt off my ATV after the cover blew off during 2 windy days and it snowed. I was still waiting until I heard the forecast tonight then went out and put the cover back on. And my brand new fully charged battery is still sitting here.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 AM
THE BERMINATOR

The cover blew off my quad again so I figured it was a good time to put the new battery in. What a pain in the . . . neck. Yeah, that's what it was, a pain in the neck. The battery is under the left rear fender as on a lot of older Polaris ATVs. But it's so tall that the top of the side toward the front of the quad was actually touching the fender. I pulled 2 of the plastic fender clips out to try to gain a fraction of an a inch clearance so I could pry the battery up and tip it out toward me. Putting the new one in was also a pain in the . . . ah, ur, um, neck! When I went to take the old battery out I found out the red wire was loose. After I was done I checked the old battery and it had 12.0-something volts. After warming up in the house for 8 hours it's up to 12.11 volts. Maybe it's still good but wasn't fully changing. I'll see how much it charges up to before taking it in for scrap. I think I only got 5 bucks for the last quad battery I took in years and years ago.

I plowed the snow and it was so heavy and packed that I had to keep going over and over it to get as close as I could to the concrete. It just doesn't have enough weight on the edge. Plus the snow rolls off the sides and I have to keep going over it. I went back and forth so may times on my driveway and sidewalk that I put 2.6 miles on the quad plowing 100 feet or so and driving 50 feet away to do the sidewalk. I could have stopped at 1 mile and been good but wanted it done better than that. I also plowed a bit between my shed and trailer, and trailer and house. Then I pushed some snow farther up on my snow pile that kept getting longer and longer but not very high. Everything worked great once I got the new battery in.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well just consider it a 2.6 mile ride, at you got a winter ride in!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

These guys up north here complaining about having to plow SNOW, while were down here scrapping ice off windshields, every friggen freezing morning! We have a few inches still out on the yards, but its already a week old....getting old, and hard as rock, no new stuff, and today 40f, so we'll be getting drips instead of flakes! lol

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch