Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Haspin Acres?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about going this Saturday and I was hoping someone here could answer a few questions like how much does it cost, are kids (8 + 12) welcome, do we need flags like the Badlands, and would it be worth a 4 hour drive? I've been to the website (http://www.motocrosspark.com/) but it doesn't look like it's been updated in quite a while (still has schedule of events for '99). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Old 09-11-2001, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't been since last year.. but from what I remember:

No flags needed.
There are no rules prohibiting kids.
It's about $10 each plus $1 for a liability card. (they might have raised prices from last year)

You really have to watch out for trucks/jeeps/rail buggies, they share the riding area with quads. I won't ride there anymore, I was almost side clipped twice on my last trip by 2 different rails. Trails have a bad tendency to dump out on to big trails where big vehicles could hit you, just not fun/safe on a quad if you ask me.

I live less than 1 hour away and I won't drive over there anymore, but thats just me. It also doesn't even begin to compare to wnf, which is a 2.5 hour drive, but well worth the difference.

I'm sure others will disagree with me...
Brad

Old 09-12-2001, 09:55 PM
BK
Pro Rider

I agree with BansheeBrad. It is not worth a 4 hour trip and it is not safe for kids. Why not drive up to some of your trails further north? Wayne is definitely better but a longer drive probably (I'm not sure where Hillsdale is) unless you are from the east of MI.

Old 09-13-2001, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

There were a lot of thefts of bikes and equipment. That was last fall/winter... Don't know about recent incidents. Heard that 2 guys got there quads taken while they were sleeping in a tent right beside them!! Heard another was taken while the owner was in the bathroom!
Secure your stuff.

Old 09-13-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Ah.. yes.. haspin acres is also know as stolen acres...

Lots of quads come up missing... they will steal it if you leave it

Brad

Old 09-13-2001, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. everyone... looks like I'll be staying away from there!

I'd like to go up north here (Michigan) like BK suggested but I don't want to chance getting in trouble from the DNR since my Son is only 8 and you're supposed to be 12 (even though he's been riding for 3 years now). Anyway, every time I've been up north the trails were so rough that it was more work than fun.

We usually go to the Maumee State Forest in Ohio and was wondering if their policy on kids (any age OK as long as supervised by adult) is the same at Wayne or Perry. Anyone know?

Old 09-13-2001, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Moto...

anyone can ride as long as they are with an adult..

wayne is a great place to ride.. I love it.. might be challenging for the young riders however

Brad

Old 09-13-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Brad,

Again, thanks for the info.

My daughter rides a Recon and my Son a 250EX. They both are good riders and suprise me at the things they can do. Which forest do you think is more kid friendly, Wayne or Perry?

Old 09-13-2001, 12:19 PM
BK
Pro Rider

Our last trip to Wayne was with a fairly new rider. The Dorr Run area was pretty good except for one trail that was kinda tough on him (he made it ok but was a little shaken up by it). Otherwise that is a good beginner's area. There is a neat loop at the far north of Wayne(I think it is New Straightsville) that was a nice ride. Lots of small jumps and neat terrain. If you do it clockwise the final hill is a total blast with 3 successive jumps where you feel like you are really flying but since it is going up hill you aren't far off the ground. There are some challenging areas on the main corridor that are not for the faint of heart or the young. Stay away from Snake Hollow with the kids as well. We did all those areas with a 13 year old on a 250 EX with no problem and he wasn't very experienced but they are areas where a small mistake could get you into trouble fast. I have rode there with experienced riders who have flipped or rolled thru overconfidence and/or fatigue and inattention. We always keep an experienced rider in front to warn the others of problems and to spot them when needed. That said you will love it there!

Old 09-13-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Moto,

I have never ridden at perry, so I can't say. However I can tell you by what your saying, the loop up near new straitsville is rather easy, and lots of parts of Dorr Run are easy also.

New Straightsville is the northern end of Wayne, Dorr run is at the southern end.

I would avoid Snake Hollow, Long Ridge and Monday creek if I were you. All the parts of Wayne National Forrest Athens connect to each other (except long ridge). From Dorr Run Trail Head #1 to New Straightsville, its like 40 trail miles each way, it's 9 some miles by GPS straight line. So lots of riding area.

I would start out in New Straitsville, off of 595. If you can handle that side of the park head on down to Dorr Run loop, lots of great riding! Get a map, and if you have a GPS, I would bring it, the place is just that frigin big!

To ride legally in the park you MUST have your quad registered in your home state, with an Off road sticker, however they have been really lax on this rule lately. Each PERSON riding must have either a day, 3-day, or year pass.

One day passes are $5, 3 day $12, a year is $25.
If you have underaged riders with you, and they commit a ticketable offense, you get the ticket! So don't let the kids run off the deseganted trails unless you're back a ways from the gravel roads, as this isn't allowed. At wayne just cause you see a path doesn't mean it's legal, only trails with an Orange triangle/square are legal, but to be real honest you hardly ever see a ranger off the Gravel.

Whatever you do, don't ride on the gravel roads unless it specifically states "Mutliable Use Trail". Instant tickets, and the rangers patrol the gravel roads alot. There are some, but not many roads that are marked "Multiable Use Trial", so just pay attention. Also don't speed on the gravel if it is legal, they don't take real kind to that either.

Also don't over worry about the rangers at Wayne, they are very friendly and helpful. I'm just trying to give you a heads up of what the rules are so you know before you go. I have been riding there since 98 and haven't ever been hasseled or gotten a ticket. It's just the stupid ones that go flying up the gravel roads that get nailed.

I have ridden at about 10 different places, and so far Wayne is by far my favorite. I'm going to go to hatfield-mccoy next week, and they say thats even better, but we shall see.

Brad

Quick Reply: Haspin Acres?