Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV safety Certificate??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd like to comment on the ATV safety course. I have taken it a few times now as thru the years and buying a new quad now and then, I started taking my family and we all learned alot. AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE COURSE GOT MORE FUN AS IT GOES ON. They dont want to teach you how to go slow, they want to know that when you leave that day you can ride agressivly and safely. I personally liked when the instructor told my daughter and I (blaster and 250R) to go show the rest how to go thru obsticles sliding the rear end!
As for the course being BS, that showes just exactly how much you need this course. I certainly would rather ride with and come along the trail with riders that have had the training rather than not. And we have never once paid for the classes! Sure you can buy the stickers, but i'd bet that after taking the course with your family you will feel alot better and safer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What I dont understand is why they quit teaching the "K" turn on a hill. Have a great day!

Old 10-03-2001, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I buy the sticker? My family doesn't care too much about riding!

And YES, I think the class is a bunch of BS. It's just like any other Gov't required class (concealed handgun, defensive driving etc etc), they are all BS. They just want money, that's it. Did you ever learn anything from a defensive driving class? Probably not! Concealed Handgun class says that "this class is NOT to teach you how to shoot"! ?????? It's just to get your money.

Old 10-03-2001, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Every ATV safety course I've seen has been free. In fact, the last one I was invited to, they PAID YOU $100 for going. You pay them nothing. So, I don't know how you can say it's just to get your money...

Old 10-03-2001, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mitch,
sure wished I could change your attitude towards the ASI safety course even a little?So defensive riding does not sound like fun to you eh?Does having another ATV coming from around a blind corner at a high rate of speed directly towards you sound like fun?You need to know how to react to situations similer to this,thats defensive ATV riding,allways expect the unexpected.And when it happens,your defensive skills might kick in.

I once had a smart *** guy tell me that the ASI class would teach him nothing at all,he claimed to be able to probably out ride me?When he was finished with the 4hr training course,he thanked me and apoligized.You see,while this guy had excellant ATV riding skills,he knew very LITTLE about State/local ATV laws.He had allready broken SEVERAL ATV related laws he knew nothing about prior to this class.

So in closing,I hope that you can see that the ASI safety course is not all about money and BS?

Bill [ASI certified instructor]

Old 10-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

The classes are only free if you buy a new ATV! Then the manufacturer pays the Gov't! The classes cost $$$$$$ if you buy a used quad! The Gov't is going to get their share, they don't care who it comes from!

I was referring to defensive driving classes for street legal autos and motorcycles! Like the class you have to take if you speed! Those classes aren't exactly filled with tons of useful info. Stop at red lights, don't speed, 4 second rule, etc. etc. I'm sure the ATV class is not near as boring as Auto defensive driving but it's still a Gov't scam. It's all of the 10 year old kids that crash into everything that ruin it for everybody else. I agree it should be required for kids, especially kids that aren't even old enough to drive on the street.

.....just my opinion!

Old 10-03-2001, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mitch,
sorry my friend,but the Government does not make a penny off this ASI class.This class is funded by the manufactures of ATVs,not the Gov.These classes are all part of a Consent Decree signed by the manufactures and the CPSC back in 1988.ASI is a non profit organization to.The instructors are paid by the MANUFACTURES not the Gov.

Bill

Old 10-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Mitch

The class is free. My dad went with me when i bought my quad and to learn how to ride it also. Didn't cost anything and they even provided him a Honda Recon to use for the class. As far as the sticker you go to the courthouse, where you get your license plates and this is where you buy the sticker. I think it is 12 bucks and it is good from March to March, regardless of when you buy it. Plus they will not sell it to you with out the certificate. Kind of the same way as not getting your plates or inspection for your car with out insurance.

Or you can just go up to the forest and ride without the sticker or the card, but i have heard that it is a $500 fine for the first offense and then it goes up $250 for each time after that.

Ronnie

Old 10-05-2001, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

What a pain in the butt!

So, the sticker is where the Gov't get's their MONEY! I knew there was some kind of "MONEY" catch. $12 for each quad/each year to ride on free property, that's a lot of MONEY!

Now maybe yall will see what I'm talking about! If it's not the class, it's the sticker. The Gov't always get's their share!

Old 10-05-2001, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MITCH, I ride on the Sam Houston National Forest trails all the time.... like every other weekend or something. I have never taken a safety course and I dont have my ATV registered. I've never had any problems with the Ranger's or Forest Service or anyone else for that matter though. However, I would like to take a safety course and get a registration sticker if it'l keep me from getting a ticket. I'd suggest calling the Sam Houston National Forest for more info. Now you have me curious so I'm gonna call as well. Like I said though, the last two years I havent had a problem with it. Main thing they look at is your head gear.
Where do you ride by the way, Im always looking for someplace new. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2001, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

I've been to Sam Houston a few times on my RM, a couple of years ago. I used to ride out at San Luis pass also, on Galveston Island. But they quit letting people ride out there, not even with a $12 sticker! Rio Bravo and Highlands have some pretty cool dirt bike tracks, not sure how they would be for quads though. I wanted to go riding out at Sam Houston State Park again, but apparently that's not possible, since I don't have the $12 sticker. There are a couple of other places but I don't know the rules anywhere. I've been taking the Raptor to La Grange and riding around on the Farm, no rules there!

Can I buy the sticker without taking the class? People buy inspection stickers without getting their cars inspected!!!!!!

Quick Reply: ATV safety Certificate??????