Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McCoy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 12:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I hope somebody can answer a couple of questions for me. My wife and 6 year old would like to go to the Rockhouse HM trail on Oct 25-28. That is the weekend of there 1 year celebration. Will it be too busy for a family outing? The second question is about my 6 year old. He rides a LT80 very well but he is under twelve and violates the trail rules as posted for the HM trails. Do they monitor this closely or would be ok to go?

Thank You for any help

KD

Old 10-14-2001, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

I think if you go there and keep a good eye on him and do not bring attention to him in the parking area by letting he ride around the lot, you should be fine. When on the trail keep him inbetween your wife and you to watch for other ATV's coming from the other way. Have fun.
Wayne B

Old 10-15-2001, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Kevin,

I have never ridden H/M and would never pretend to know more about them than WayneB who I'm sure has. The only information I've gotten has come from folks on different forums that have given their opinions. Phrases like 'not for beginners' seem to pop up a lot. From what I've read, a 12 year old may not be as apt to be distracted or make one bad decision that these heigths won't forgive. I agree with you regarding TrailFest traffic as this is one of the two primary trails they will be using and all routes are(sometimes narrow)two-way. You might want to check out the H/M website (www.trailsheaven.com) under 'message board'. There is someone (that I believe has kids your age) that went there and posted his experience v.s. other places they've taken them.

Again, I don't in any way pretend to know anything about these trails until I actually ride them in a couple weeks. Just food for thought regarding somebody I know you want the best for. Hope you all have fun.

John

Old 10-15-2001, 10:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey there Kevin. Unless your son is very big in stature for his size, and since a large event will be going on, representatives will almost be forced to check ages of the young riders. It would be a bummer going through all of the motions and not getting to ride! Why not try an "off / regular" weekend? Also, if he is not a good rider, I would'nt recommend taking the little man. Just my opinion....hope it helps.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Kevin---My views are based on 2 trips to H/M this year, one in May, one at the beginning of this month.
I tend to agree with Gary 660R, H/M is NOT a place for beginners. No matter HOW well your son rides, fact is, he is physically too small to take on some of these trails!(So is his bike, in my opinion) I have ridden the woods for 25 years, and these trails(some of them) can be a challenge. Also bare in mind that this terrain is NOTHING like Indiana has to offer! These are serious mountain trails with 100ft drop offs on one side, and 200ft cliff on the opposite side(in some cases)!!! This place can be extremely dangerous.
My recommendation would be to try to find a place to go and let him get his "feet wet". You might try Wayne Nat'l. Forest in Ohio. I am sure there are many places within a 5hr drive of your house, that would present a challenge to the whole family! I ride WNF, Logan OH. all the time and would be glad to answer any questions.
I'd be glad to help you set up a ride in WNF.... just let me know.

Old 10-15-2001, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

I live in matewan and My advice to you would be to go on a weekend when there are no major events going on. Rockhouse begins with a medium diff. trail that is the only way in. the green one was closed and and I would not recommend taking him on this. Buffalo mtn has a loop that consists of all green trails that would be a perfect days ride for him. 10 and 15 circle around to make a pretty easy trail for a young beginner. My website is www.wvtrailguides.org You can contact me from the site. It has some great pics on it from HM country. Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-15-2001, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah, if you go on any other weekend the age thing should'nt be a problem as we are trying to attract people to ride the system and not scare them away with rules and fines. Just be careful.

Old 10-20-2001, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with everyone else. Bearwallow is a good system to go to for a younger person. Alot of easy trails and an all around fun day of riding. When I wasa there I saw 3 people on a utility quad with no helmets or shoes! Just remember to keep lo key and no one will say anything to you. Other than that everyone around there is very friendly. Just like everyone else says though, all trails are rocky and in some places dangerous. Stay away from the black trails if your son is there. Very hard trails to ride.

Old 10-24-2001, 06:57 AM
Range Rover

KevinDevitt
I picked up the new quad this week end sweet. When ever you decide to go for a ride let me know. Do you know of any good places?