Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Cochranton is NO MORE!!!! --- R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From today's YOUNGSTOWN(Ohio)VINDICATOR -

"ATV and motorcycle run stalls out over regulations"

"COCHRANTON, Pa. (AP) - The annual all-terrain vehicle and motorcycle charity run that raises money for various organizations and boosts Crawford County's economy is taking a break next year. But the break could be permanent. "We don't know whether it will be back. That's something that has to be seen." said Fred Neff, a board member of the Allegheny Highlands Pulling Association. Neff said the event, which began in 1989, had grown so large that it was overwhelming organizers and made getting volunteers difficult. The event generated thousands of dollars for the local economy and raised about $80,000 this year for various causes. The event, which had been held the first Saturday in April, had become the largest of its kind in the United States. About 7,000 ATV riders registered this year; in its first year, there were fewer than 100 motorcycle and ATV riders combined. The association had been cited for environmental violations in 1999 and 2000 and state agencies stepped up their permitting process. Neff said the requirements were a hassle for organizers. Neff said the event, if it is brought back, may be scaled down to reduce the workload." - Youngstown Vindicator

- Well I don't know what to say... it was fun while it lasted

Old 11-20-2001, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

Anybody who likes that type of event should probably head down to Hatfield/McCoy and support 'Dirt Week' in June or 'Dirtfest' in Sept. This will only be the 2nd event ever held there and should draw a fair amount of people with 3(possibly 4)trail systems to ride.

Advice: Don't take along the novices in your group and shut off your rig and listen before going up or down steep grades.

John
'00SP500

Old 11-20-2001, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

SHHHHHHH Michimaniac u and foreman s are going to spoil your secret someone may read this and find out where some good rideing is he he just kidding come one come all ride safe and enjoy

Old 11-21-2001, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

plp2,

Even though I had to go to Cochranton this spring just to experience that many fellow riders all together; I'm pretty confident that the scenery wouldn't have compared to your backyard. Sounds like some of the new trails are slated to run through your county next. What a great place to quick hop on your rig and be out in the middle of nowhere looking over a mountain range any time of the year..........Oh yeah, I forgot, this place sucks....don't go there!

John
'00 SP500

Old 11-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Michimaniac he he he Right. It is nice to hop on and go 24/7 can be on top of mountain in 5 minutes or h&m trail in 10