Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hillsville

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you who ride in hillsville, I heard they turned it into a state gamelands. Is this true? I hope not. Thanks

Old 11-30-2001, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been there, but I have heard rumors that it was either shut down or going to be shut down. As I said, this is rumor only. If anyone knows more, fill us in. I plan on getting there sometime this winter or spring. Have you ever been to Wellsville? It's just south of East Liverpool. That place is probably a similar distance to you. It is really cool. I rode with a guy who has been to both and he likes Wellsville much more. To get there, take SR 7 south from E. Liverpool. Get off at the Clark Ave. exit. Follow that south until it dead ends into a gravel parking lot. You will pass a Quality Liquid Feed plant on Clark Ave.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, Wellsville is fun. I know alot of people who go there. There are some really nasty steep/rocky hillclimbs there.

Old 11-30-2001, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

I drove by there a month or two ago. They have put up more signs and are mining closer to the road in the one area. I heard the landowner was getting heat from the police about dumping, plus some injuries every now and then. In my opinion converting it to a gamelands would not be very likely. As far as I know it is private property bought from the mine. I used to ride there and it was not too far from where I live, but now you take a big risk by parking and riding, I guess if you live close and ride thru the back you could be alright but it is still risky. I wish some one would buy it and set up a fee based access deal. At least that way we could ride there. But not like that guy at Wellsville. Anyways, if anyone else has more info. please share it with us.

Later.

Old 11-30-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Wellsville is free. I heard a story that someone set up a pay to play deal a couple of years ago and then skipped town with about $30,000. Is that what you were talking about Mark6? I know that they didn't charge us anything last week on Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Old 12-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I've heard various stories which I can not confirm. The main one being that he only owned a small portion of the property and set up the gate you mentioned and charged people. It lasted about a year, maybe less, from what I hear. He had no standing to legally do it and was stopped. I don't know what happend after that. I've been there and its ok. I liked hillsville cause it was closer and more suited to my type of riding, minus the hill climbs by the superbowl. If anyone has more info on hillsville, I'd like to hear it. My last post was just what I've heard and is not necessarily 100 percent accurate, other than to say that it is obvious they don't want you to ride there anymore. Bummer!

Later,
keep on riding,
Mark.

Old 12-01-2001, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of Hillville is now state game lands and is enforced by the game commission. If you park at Hillsville, you will be fined for trespassing. Having said that, there are still people parking "creatively" and riding. What with the increased fines and restricted area, it could be an expensive ride......

Old 12-02-2001, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Help me get this straight. Hillsville is closed, but Wellsville is still open and legal? Right? Or are they both illegal and closed?

Old 12-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

All I can speak for is Wellsville. It is open. I rode there last weekend. It is not local, state, or federal land. I believe that it is either abandonded or unclaimed private land that people don't worry about. I have never heard of anyone getting busted. I do not know anything about Hillsville's status. I have never been there, I have only heard of the place. That is what we are trying to figure out. Is Hillsville open or not? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] That is the $64,000 question.

Old 12-02-2001, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hillsville is not open. BUT, there are some who still ride there. If you park at the site, you will be ticketed for trespassing. If you ride on the game land area, the game commision will cite you. Certain locals know where to park, and where to ride without getting caught. Technically, it is illegal to ride at Hillsville.
You can ride legally at Wellsville.

Quick Reply: Hillsville