Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 11:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to congratulate MATVA on their new forum. I was just wondering why you have to be a member to post there? I actually enjoyed reading comments and posts from other Michigan riders, and now you have to be a member to "have the privilege" to post as one person so eloquently put it. It just strikes me as odd considering the message that's portrayed is that everyone is welcome, yet when it comes to expressing ideas and opinions, it's restricted to members only! Any comments? I'd love to hear any feedback.

Old 12-11-2001, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Twinshot,
Nice little twist wasn't it? I already have an ezboard registration and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't post. Finally got an email informing me of their new policy. Can't say as I'm real impressed. I used to go to the old Mi ATV site when Greg owned it. I was hoping that the MATVA would upgrade the forum software and make it easier to post/read. I know they were having problem posters, but it sounded like that was the purpose of the new software. The denial notices weren't real pleasent either. "Denied!" sounds like they were excited about it. I was watching them as to whether or not to pay my dues. I work hard for my money and don't like to waste it. It looked like they were making some progress; however, the idea of a "members only" board really doesn't help me much. It's their board- do with it what they wish; but, as of right now, I'll hold on to the money.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

There's a very SIMPLE answer to both your questions.First off,im a member in good standing with MATVA.

In the old type Forum that we had,we had a FEW outsiders[non members] that were coming in and causing problems.The old style Forum did NOT require you to register.You could use a DIFFERANT user name ANYTIME you wanted to.

There was not a SINGLE argument in that Forum between MEMBERS.One outsider[non member] used 3 differant computers and used 24 DIFFERANT User Names while posting.He would make an opinion or express an idea under one User Name,than come back under ANOTHER User Name and answer his OWN question or remark to his OWN post.

This SAME guy used MY name to post on that Forum,thats going TO FAR!

While MATVA does respect everyones opinion and veiws,the above type posts serve no real purpose except to cause problems,and because of it,MATVA decided to go to a ''members only''Forum.This is working out great.No outside BS anymore.

If you REALLY want to get to know the folks at MATVA,Dont join YET!Keep just reading our Forum.And the next[non sanctioned]ATV ride you see schuduled,contact the office and leave your phone number or e-mail with Richard Rondeau.He will than get ahold of one of the riders and we'll call or e-mail you back and meet.You will than be VERY WELCOMED to ride with us.After the schuduled ride,im confident you'll be happy with the members and will want to be part of MATVA?

We just had a 15 person ride over the wk end.One guy called the office with concerns about joining MATVA,all because of some of the things he saw on the OLD Forum.I contacted the guy,assured him that this was NOT what MATVA stood for and requested he ride this wk end with us.He rode with us and had the TIME OF HIS LIFE.

He is now a MATVA member!

Old 12-11-2001, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Bill,
I fail to see how the aura of exclusivity will help entice new members into the fold. Its like a church requiring you drop your offering into the plate before you enter. How are you gonna convert anyone if all they can do is peek thru the windows? I realize you had a problem poster, but the new board gives you the ability to manage this problem. I understand the desire to reward members, but I believe it could be better achieved thru an open forum with a special members only area. I would think this is possible with ezboard.
Hey, its just my two cents, but we wouldn't be having this conversation on the MATVA board.....
Your friendly MATVA infidel, Phil

Old 12-11-2001, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Phil,
You bring up a very valid point!I know if the ATV Connection is having problems,they just ban that user,perhaps you are right and MATVA should concider doing the same thing.

I plan on addressing this issue with the organizer of the EZ board and the President of MATVA.Thank you for your opinion.

Bill

Old 12-12-2001, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for considering my point Bill. I've been reasonably pleased with the progress of the MATVA. We desperately needed statewide representation for our particular side of the issue. Every new organization has it's growing pains, but you have been a good ambassador. I anticipate the progress that organized enthusiasts can achieve. I was especially excited to see the discussion related to trail grading on the forum. I hope to be able to share in those discussions soon.

Old 12-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

give'em a brake, they new to this. not only are they new to the fourm but they are a new assoc. all together. ive been a memeber for 3 months now and have no complaints about how they run it, or the people who belong to it. they are a great bunch of people. just went on a trail ride on dec. 8th and had a very good time. meet some new folks and and saw someothers id taken a trip to the u.p. with in october. i work hard for my money to and id spend 50.00 if it were the case to join. they work to keep our trails open and safe for all of us members or not. so hang in there its only gonna get better. trust me thanks tim

Old 12-12-2001, 06:56 AM
Range Rover

DoubleBoss -

I am the administrator of the MATVA forum. A lot of the features are not explained when you set these boards up. I was unable to see what message is set to denied users so I am very sorry if the message appeared inappropriate. We do not enjoy turning away anyone. We have had problems in the past without having the ability to ban or deny users. Having these abilities now may give us more freedom to open it back up. Please send me your email and as we work through this I will gladly keep you up to date. All we want is a peaceful local forum. Be patient and I am sure in the end there will be a solution everyone will agree with.

Jeff

Old 12-12-2001, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

Wow! I'm actually surprised at the responses. I was also considering joining MATVA, the idea of all Michigan riders banning together to for one common cause really appealed to me. I don't know the whole forum thing kind of irked me. I never posted anything derogatory, and to be shut out because of a few individuals bugged me. I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but I would think opening it up to everyone would be beneficial to you. Say somebody is considering joining and has a few questions, and all he can do is read posts. I don't know, just an idea.

Old 12-12-2001, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Now look what you did Twinshot![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was gonna keep my mouth shut and wait a bit, but you done gone and got me a riled up!!!
Jeff, Thanks for the reply. If I were a member, I still would have the same opinions regarding this matter. Let the unwashed in!! Just this little discourse has made me feel more concilatory towards MATVA. I love these forums. I wish I had had them when purchasing our quads or before trying out some new trails(Leota, yuk!). The ability to "network" with other enthusiasts is invaluable. I anticipate joining MATVA; due to the season (Wife's birthday and Christmas) discretionary cash is unavailable. I would love to be having this discussion at MATVA rather than here. I anticipate sending in my dues eventually ( I hope membership comes with a sticker!!). Please don't see me as contentious. I AM opinionated and LOVE a good argument as long as it is carried out with politeness and decency. I hope to see you on the "other' side soon, until then expect me to check your progress periodically...
Phil-mollified MATVA infidel

Quick Reply: Michigan riding