Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Montana and South Dakota Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer my family is going on a road trip through South Dakota to Montana. We are renting a big RV, and were going to trailer some quads. We've nixed that idea, and are just going to rent ATVs. We will trailer the quads a lot more than we'd ride them.

Any good rental shops in the Black Hills or eastern Montana. Last summer, we rented Arctic Cat 250s and rode near Big Sky. The quads sucked but the ride was spectacular. Amazing views and scenery. Any good riding places in either state? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2000, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Mike,
If its not out of your way, you really should drive through the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. There are miles and miles of fantastic trails to go on. When we took my sister and her family there, they rented a couple of atv's from a place in Sheridan. I'm not sure of the name of the place, but I think it was Safari something. Hope this helps you out a little bit. My husband and I take our girls every summer for about a week, and there are still some trails we haven't hit yet. There are plenty of campgrounds on top of the mountains, and I recommend visiting Bear Lodge.(Burgess Junction) Good luck!

Old 02-22-2000, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

Mike,

I've attended college for 2 years in Rapid City, SD, I'm back in Iowa co-oping for a semester, but I'll tell ya there is allot of riding to be found there. There is a place called Farmingdale out in the Badlands, and it's only about 20-30 minutes East of Rapid City. There is also the Blackhills, which is the only open forest in the US (For he most part if it's forest land, not private property, or any gates across the road you can ride). They don't really mark trails because they rather you not ride trails, thus not tearing up the land. A group of eight quads from Iowa went to South Dakota last year and they all loved it and want to go back really bad. We rode in the Badlands one day, and in the hills the next.

As far as any other info, I don't have it at the moment, but I do have the phone # of a guy who rides allot there and could maybe tell you good places to go or how to get info. If you would like to know more I could ask him if he doesn't mind you giving him a call or he could tell me the best person to contact, like the current president of the riders club there or something. Just let me know if you would like more info or not.

I will say, its awsome riding, but if you don't know the area you could get lost, so having GPS or somebody that is from there with would maybe be a good idea. We actually rode with a couple of my friends from there, but I do know the riding club has rides during the summer like cave rides and stuff like that so you can see allot of neat things, so talking with members and going down when they have a ride may be the way to go. So again I could help you out there if you want.

If nothing else, I know we may just go back and ride again this summer, so we may happen to be there, who knows.

Sickman

PS: Tall tires and skids are recommended. One guy with us rode a blaster with 18 inch turfs and rikkens up front, and he struggled in places, but he did manage, although if he would have had at least 20 inchers he would have had more fun. I either run Realters or a holeshot style tire called Badlands out there for there toughness. Also having slime in your tires is recommended, because there are small cacktaus plants that can cause little leaks once-in-awhile if there is nothing like slime in the tire.

Old 02-22-2000, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

Mike,

I missed the part where you weren't taking your quads, but there are rental shops, I actually drive right past one when I go from Rapid City to Lead or Deadwood to ride, they have polaris and Honda's if I remember correctly. There are probably other places, a friend of mines parents actually own the largest snowmobile lodge and rental shop in the hills, I think I may have thier number and maybe they know of some good places to rent ATV's.

Sickman

Old 02-22-2000, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the great input, but unfortunetly, the trip has been canceled. Maybe some other time. Instead, maybe I can convince my dad to take me to the Oregon dunes! Or Pismo. Flying to either destination, and renting quads for a weekend, would be a lot cheaper than renting a 30' RV for seven days!