Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV Laws in Michigan...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the laws are for riding ATV's in Michigan? I have seen small tractors and lawn mowers driving down the sides of roads with those orange triangles on the back of the machine. Does that mean if I can manage to get one of those oranges triangles that I can drive down the country roads near my home? I mean, I'm sure I can get my hands on one, but what is the law???

I sure would like to find some loop hole in the system that would allow me to drive to a couple spots without having to drive my 4 wheeler there... What is the penalty for getting caught? I'm thinking that I probably won't get caught, regardless what the law is! Thanks.

Old 02-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

Ilive in the U.P.. The laws regarding ATV's up here depend on where You are. In the township where I live they past an ordanance a few years back that you can ride them on the right hand shoulder of any Roads other than state roads. But in other townships, you can not ride them anywhere. It would be best to check the area you are going to be ridding in, to find out the local rules.

Old 02-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in michigan its all up to your township board as far as local roads go. call your supervisor. there is provisions for townships to designate atv friendly roads. down here in southwestern michigan the township i live is trying to hire more police to keep us off the roads. south haven that is.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Mac,
Delta County Sheriff is seeking a county ORV ordiance to allow ATVs to ride the county gravel roads and shoulder of other county roads except state Hwys. County commissioners has an open forum and only two Townships were against it and two undecided majority were for it . Now the the commissioners want the sheriff to visit each township board and discuss provisions. March county board mtg hopefully will be a big step for Delta County. Since Menomeee and Dickerson allow ATVs to ride the gravel roads and shoulders. This would be another step forward for the UP too!

When ya gonna come down to Esky and ride the Forest Island Trail with me? I see you might be going to the Poker Run in June over at Hulbert?

There will be another SCUD Run in April near Carney again this year.

Mac The Red Rhino

Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Mac,
I can't wait to start ridding. Just got the new grizz, and can't wait to put it threw its paces. I will come down just about any weekend. Just let me know when and where. Hope to make it to the poker run this year. Is there camping available there. Just a tent site will do.

Old 02-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

For more info on the Poker run in Hulbert Mi,go to miatvassoc.com and than click on TRAIL TALK.This is a Michigan ATV exclusive Forum.

Bill

Old 02-26-2002, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

Mac, Yes there's camping in the area and as Bill says look up their web site and there'w plenty of talk about it. Jiggin Jack from Norway ( is debating on buying a Twin Polaris or Grizz) and I are staying in a cabin at the Sno Shu Inn 6-7-8th Of June for this Poker Run.

Mac Member of The HO Team Iron Range Riders

Old 02-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am bashing my two Polaris because they are the biggest POS ATVs I've ever owned,allways something worn out or wrong on the damn things.I had a new 99 500cc Sportsman and now a new 2000 Xplorer.I would'nt give a dime for another Polaris product until they start addressing their reliability issue's.My ten other ATVs COMBINED did'nt give me as much trouble as ONE of these Polaris ATVs did.

Ask Rich G,[the owner of the TEQ Hotel]he has also had TONS of problems with BOTH his Polaris ATVs to.My next ATV will be the new 660 Grizz!

Bill

Old 02-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear that Bill [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The group that I usually ride with "The Iron Range Riders" all ride the latest Sportsmen. And yes two of them have sold their 2001 machines and are debating on which to buy next the Twin polaris or 650 Kaw,660 Grizz or 500 Cat. I'am not much opinionated on the products for I only have owned a 86 Big Red and two Yamahas 97 Big Bear SE and currently a Y2K Kodiak. Which I have enjoyed so far. Having only 2000 miles so far I can only say the next machine will have some sort of locker or true four wheel drive!

Mac

Old 02-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mac,
I certainly agree with the locker idea.I personally beleive in having one as well.I've been around these ATVs since 1983[3 wheelers and 4 wheelers] and never seen anything as unreliable as my two Polaris.I have some friends that are also unhappy to.

I think my next ATV will be the new 660 Grizz.It has everything the 700 has and more.And its also a great ride.

Bill

Quick Reply: ATV Laws in Michigan...