Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sugar Creek and cossatotriver are one in the same.We have Bear Lodge reserved for Memorial Day Weekend. For the price of the wolf pen cabins you still cannot beat it. I will agree it is no Hilton but when you get five in a cabin for 10.00 a piece you can sacrifice luxuries. I have stayed in motels worse than the cabins.

Old 04-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

I am doing my best to get up there the weekend of the 21st if anybody is going to be there. Keep me posted.

Old 04-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

I am off work most all weekends, and will probably go to Wolf Pen Gap the weekend of the 21st. I used to go about 30 times a year. I am easy to spot. My truck is an extended cab stepside Z71, sandstone color, Fox head sticker on the rear glass. Pulling a primer red trailer with a big ramp. Riding a red 400ex with nerf bars, and holeshot tires. Hope to see some of you there.

Kirk

Old 04-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Snoopy 61, You and I must have stayed in some of the same motels. I remember one that I had to hold one side of the mattress to keep from rolling off the other side. Good thing they didn't charge for roaches, I couldn't have afforded the place. In my old age, I like a little luxury. That doesn't include sleeping five to a room. Used to do that a lot when we took the kids skeing in the mountains and they usually took friends. I think we will be in Mena the weekend of May 15 & 16. (Not sure cause the wife made the reservations) Be there five days total. Really looking forward to riding the place. I plan on looking for Kirk_D4's rig. Wish I could tell yall what we will be in, but my friend is getting a new pickup which we will probably bring. If he drives, we will probably bring his Wells Fargo trailer cause it will carry five four wheelers. That way we only need one vehicle and one trailer. Saves on gas.

Ted

Old 04-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

I know what you mean. I work in the oil field and when it is late you will take anything. I stayed in a room on night where you could look outside at night and it was not looking through a window. The toilet felt as if it had a torpedo put through the side it was tilting so bad but now I just look back at it and laugh. I forgot to mention that Mena has a Super Walmart if you want to travel light until you get there. You will have a good time at Mena and you will want to go back. There is a place close by that looks as if Deliverance the movie was filmed there. It is on one of the trails close by where you will be staying. If I remember turn left out of the cabins then go left at the Y and follow that trail and you will see what I mean. House on the right. Don't forget to ask directions to blue lake and take your swimming trunks with you. Don't waste your money on Little Missouri Falls if you ride by there unless you(or kids) want to swim in the falls. The falls only fall about 3 feet so it is not that great. Sometimes it gets dusty so dusk mask or bandanas might help. If you have any more questions just post them I will help out if I can.

Old 04-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

Snoopy,

I got a kick out of your note. I was working the oil and gas business at the time. They had a drilling boom in Oklahoma. The drillers would rent every motel room within a hundred miles of the field just in case they happened to be there when they crashed at night. Most rooms had no one staying in them, but you had to fend for yourself and take the best you could find.

One question I do have is the following. What are the safety gear requirements such as helmets, goggles, ect. in Wolf Pen? I usually wear tear away goggles for the dust, but thats about all. The only other personal protective device I wear is a 9mm. It's a good thing Texas and Arkansas have a reciprocal agreement on that.

Old 04-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

There are no requirements when it comes to protective gear. My wife and I wear them for our own safety cause of the rocks. If I just stay on the well traveled roads(trails) I usually just wear goggles but if I get on the more technical rocky trails the helment goes on.
Some wear them some do not.Watch for vehicle traffic cause some trails are big enough for vehicles. I am not sure about the 9mm on the trails though. Last year I saw a guy with a 22 on his back then the next time I saw him the forrest ranger was behind him and the 22 was not on his back. Might ought to call the forrest service to make sure. Can't find the number,sorry. You might need it though when you go by the Deliverence house though. I am telling you about this house and you will not see a soul when you go by there then I will feel like a dummy.

Ronnie

Old 04-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

Snoopy,

Thanks for the info. I was just kidding about the gun. I wear it around here because we live in the middle of a 7,000 acre hunting lease. Got lots of wild hogs and alligators. My wife and I like to ride at night so I always take it with me.

Ted

Old 04-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

I have a map somewhere of the riding area where you are going. If I find it I will mail you a copy cause i have no scanner. Keep a open eye
and if I find it you can send me your address.

Old 04-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

Snoopy61 are you talking about a map of wolf pen gap? There are several maps available on the internet, and I have a couple here on my hard drive. Give me your e-mail addy and I will send you one. They are kind of large though. I think about 273k. Just let me know.
I am going to be riding there this Saturday too, and maybe Sunday.
Kirk

Quick Reply: Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas