Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Summer Riding in So. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002 | 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Great post YZguy
If you have any detailed info of these riding areas or directions please let us know.
Bearman

Old 04-17-2002 | 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Cher,

Mammoth Lakes is really nice in the summer. I am not sure about ATV rentals but here is the official link to their off-road info. http://www.visitmammoth.com/summer/4wdhome.html They will mail you their maps if you ask.

YZGUY keep on sending in your reports we love them!!

Ride hard but be safe

Marco Polo

Old 04-17-2002 | 02:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Anybody familiar with Owens River Gorge?? I know this is a popular ride for mountain bikers, and the scenery is supposed to be nice. From a distance, it looks pretty big. I haven't explored this area yet. On the map, there are some roads that skirt it, but nothing that looks like it goes down into the gorge.

Cher-ATV rentals are rare, because of liability issues I think??? Get yourself an Inyo National Forest Map. Call the White Mtn. Ranger District office at 760-873-2503, and they can tell you how to order one.

Rock Creek Lakes is at the top of a long valley. The Forest service road 5S08 runs along the ridge on the east side of the valley. You used to be able to access it via road 4S54 near the Holiday Campground. But, lately the gate at Holliday has been closed, so I have been going around to Swall Meadows/Sky Meadow Ranch, where you can pick up a road (can't remember the number, might be 4S54?) going up Witcher Creek and Sand Canyon. If you do this ride and are on a bike with high ground clearance, be sure to take the side trip to Wheeler Ridge (the trail is fairly technical and a 4X4 is nice!). You ride down into the cone of a volcano where there is a lake and some sand dunes. You will think you are on the Moon!! From there ride over the ridge and overlook the Owens valley form an elevation of over 10,000'.

If you are desperate and can't find a rental, e-mail me and we might be able to hook up for a ride. I have 8 bikes (in a family of 3). I have so many many bikes because I love to take friends (particularly beginners) riding. They don't know what they are getting into, because they go riding once and they are hooked!!

Old 04-18-2002 | 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks MarcoPolo and YZGuy,

I've ordered info at the site suggested. I think I may order topos or forest service maps too. Bet I won't get to ride though. I doubt whether there will be any rentals in that area. One day, after the mountain trip, I might go to Pismo Beach with my son's girlfriend to ride. Provided I can talk her into it. No one likes to ride like I do! Thanks again.

Cher

Old 04-19-2002 | 12:09 PM
|
Pro Rider

Cher-Pismo DOES HAVE ATV RENTALS, including preformance machines!! In fact, ATV rentals there is a really big business. Search "Oceano Dunes" in one of the search engines, and you will come up with their web site. Don't miss it if you can get there! Avoid weekends if possible.

Old 04-19-2002 | 03:04 PM
Range Rover

It won't help in the Mammouth Lakes area but I pass by a rental place everyday in Anaheim/Orange. It's located on Tustin avenue right at the 91. They always have a Banshee or 400ex sitting out front with a rental sign. I'll get the name of the place and post it Monday.

Woodo

Old 04-19-2002 | 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Woodo,

Thanks for the info. My son probably knows the place. He lives in Costa Mesa right next door. I wonder what it would cost to haul two bikes up there for 4 days. Worth checking it out.

Cher

Old 04-21-2002 | 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Cher,

There is another rental place in the city of Orange, on Katella Avenue. He has Hondas 300 and 400 EX and various motorcycles. I don't remember the exact adress but it is right next to the Uniform center.

If you are interested I will get it for you.

Marco Polo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002 | 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

bump

Old 04-25-2002 | 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

you can rent from Recreation Unlimited (do not know if good or bad)

has anyone ridden from California City to Randsburg (White House Saloon for lunch and beers) and back??

may do it this Saturday

Quick Reply: Summer Riding in So. Calif.