Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Summer Riding in So. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the deserts get hot and the desert riding season comes to a close, I just wanted to remind everybody that there are lots of "cool" places to ride during the hot summer months!! So, you don't have to give up riding just because it's 125 degrees at Glamis.

Here are some of my personal favorites: The San Bernardino Mtns. have a pretty extensive trail system (lots of single track trails!!), and fire roads. Kennedy Meadows in the southern Sierra, has limited quad riding (but it is dirt bike trail riding paradise!!!), but is still worth the trip. The Inyo National Forest (around Bishop and Mammoth) has an "open unless posted closed" policy on dirt roads. While there is no trail riding, there are hundereds of miles of roads and some of the greatest scenery you will find anywhere! If anybody would like detailed directions to any of these places, just ask.

High ground clearance is helpfull in most of these areas, but you can get by on a sport bike. A 4X4 is nice, but not a necessity. The more we use these mountain regions, the more political clout we can muster to keep them open for riding!!!!

Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

Hi YZGUY,

Tell me more about Kennedy Meadows. My vacation is coming up end of June and I am thinking of heading up to Lake Tahoe via 395, try to do the Rubicon and some Mammoth trails. I have a small toyhauler trailer so we can camp out for a few days as long it is safe for a family. Our toys are a Rubicon, Recon and a Breeze. When you say the ATV trails are limited what do you mean?

FYI we had a very bad experience last weekend at Gorman. We camped at their main campground and a bunch of rude teenagers kept us up till 4:00 AM, shouting fighting, throwing rocks, shaking our trailers and even shooting their guns. Of course there was no rangers around. Luckily somebody called the Sheriff and about 10 cops showed up and kicked these as..... out. In the meantime they ruined our weekend.

Also on another note I remember you were looking to upgrade your Recon tires, what did you buy??

One of these days we need to hook up and meet. My kids are 14, 11 and 4 and all girls!! Believe or not they really like ATVs hihi!!

Thanks
Marco Polo
Huntington Beach

Old 04-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Marcopolo-I did a rider review on the area back in August. If you search "Kern Plateau", you will find the review. The view form Sherwin Peak and the scenery in Monache Meadows are both incredible, and well worth the trip!! One thing, the road from 395 up into the mountains is narrow in spots, and often very steep. Be sure you have a stout tow vehicle for this one.

Also search "Bishop". You will find a review of Rock Creek, which I did in September. There is another great area near Bishop called "Coyote Flats". Both these rides climb to elevations around 10,000', and have spectacular scenery!!

Let us know any time you need a guide or some riding buddies!!! Summer riding in the mountains (we also do Pismo Beach several times), has opened up a whole new range of riding for us (as opposed to just riding the deserts in the cool months). We will probably do all these rides at some point this summer. We might even do Bishop Memorial Day weekend. I want to do an early trip, while there is still some snow left to play in.

All of us have had problems with "bad neighbors" at some point, but fortunately it is rare.

Still need to replace the Recon tires!! wkelln@ahs.llumc.edu

Old 04-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hi yzguy,
good topic. I am looking for some day ride areas close to home (Hermosa Beach). I sold my boat so no more Havasu. Where do you start your rides in the local mountains??

Old 04-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Blueleader-Call the Big Bear Discovery Center, 909-866-3437. They will send you a set of 3 maps which cover the riding areas. Get a San Bernardino Forest map too, as it will also be helpfull. The easiest access is at Silverwood Lake (off of I-15 in Cajon Pass). You can park in the parking lot at the dam, and road 2N33 begins near there. I use this in the cooler months, but it can be miserable hot in the summer!!

From Silverwood, you can ride mostly fire roads (road 2N17X is fairly technical, so stay on 2N33 if your not up to it!) up to the Pinnacles staging area. This is where the real fun begins!! From Pinnacles to Deep Creek is a set of the best SINGLE TRACK TRAILS I have ever ridden!!! These are featured all the time in the magazines, because they do a lot of their bike tests up there. You won't get past Deep Creek without a 4X4 though, because of big rocks. Remote camping is allowed in this area. I usually drive up to Pinnacles in the summer, when it is to hot to stage form Silverwood.

On the East side of Deep Creek, you can access through Green Valley Lake Road and 3N16. There are two campgrounds (Crab Flats and Big Pine Flats). You can camp here and ride right form your campsite, but most weekends you will need reservations. You probably won't be able to go West down to Deep Creek without a 4X4.

Near Big Bear is Cactus Flats Staging Area. There is a big open play area which is fun for the kids, and some nice sandy trail riding. But, as you get away form the staging area, the trails get rather rocky. The roads lead down toward the desert. It can get pretty hot there in the summer.

Let us know if you want to hook up for a ride sometime-- wkelln@ahs.llumc.edu

Old 04-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

All of YZGuys suggestions are great places. I also enjoy Camping/Ridding at Gold Hill Camp just outside of Hungry Valley. You can take the road up Alamo Mountain and reach 7000 ft. The creek is also great for cooling down on hot days. Personally I don't mind the heat and always seem to wind up out at Dumont for a weekend in the middle of summer.

Woodo

Old 04-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

I invested in a good set of lights (HID's) and still go to the desert during the summer. Ride most of the nigth sleep during the day. Of course this helps if you have an air conditioned place to sleep during the day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Night riding is a thrill to say the least!

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

thanks yzguy.
trail maps are coming in the mail. I just wish the wr426 was a green sticker bike!! I will e-mail you before my next quad ride.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

BlueLeader-I have never had anybody check my stickers, except once at Hungry Valley and that was because the bike was involved in an accident. Even then, the ranger ignored the fact that it was a red sticker vehicle being ridden out of season. If you get caught, I would just play dumb and hope for no more than a warning.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi there,

My husband and I will be visiting my son and his girlfriend in June. They will be camping at the Rock Creek Campground and we will be staying in a cabin at King's Rock Creek Lakes Resort. I have been asking around....Bishop Chamber of Com. locals, etc........but haven't found anyone who knows where I could rent atvs to ride up there. We are experienced riders but won't have our Kodiaks with us obviously. Do you know of a place near Tom's Place, Mammouth or Bishop? Can you tell me exactly where you ride at Rock Creek? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cher

Quick Reply: Summer Riding in So. Calif.