Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Washington State Law ¿

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is the law in Washington State about riding ORVs? How do you know if you can legally be on a road or trail with your 4 wheeler? I am a little confused by this, any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Old 08-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I used to do alot of riding in Washington when I lived there. Your best guess about legal riding would be to contact the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). They "police" most of the trails. There are also a few clubs in washington that you could fine online (this website) and those guys should have all the rules. But, for the most part, I seem to remember that quads were not legal on the roads at all. I got my A$$ chewed by a DNR cop for riding down the road from the parking area to a 4x4 trail (half a mile away). I asked him how I was supposed to get to the trail, he didn't have any answers for me, and I said have a nice day and took off to the trail. Just be smart about where you ride, where a helmet, and have your off road sticker visible. Do those things and you shouldn't get bothered.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

sorry i just lost my littl e speech... but anyway, not too loud, spark arrestor, and ask directions like yer lost. most forest and BLM cops are nice folks in my experience.
and have some fun, but if it's closed....like here.....look out!
closing the woods here where s.arrestors are required is like blaming yer house burning down on the hot apple pie yer mom put on the windowsill! hmmmmm.
yer tax money at work, ok? but the hunters are out a couple weeks from now, and they have free run of the place!!! does that make sense? who HASNT been hunting where there wasnt a full bar????? scary.
anyway have fun!

Old 08-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

as for forest service roads in national forests, you must be street legal( no quad in WA is), the rangers are commies, they're even sticklers with the street legal dirt bikes. logging road adjacent to NF i've riddin quads on, but been hasseled about where the forest land begins and that we can't ride there.
on WA DNR land, i've riddin the dirt roads and had no problems(yet).

Old 08-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

sorry, dual=sporter, i thot all the ***** were hiding out in northern idaho still! hehe sounds like a f ew work for the govt... hang in there