Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Need update on Wellsville

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A group of my friends and I are looking to roadtrip over for a day of riding over the Labor Day weekend. Is the main parking lot over the railroad tracks open or does Hillbilly still have the crossing closed off? Are the local authorities busting people or are they leaving riders alone? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The place must be closed, huh?
I am getting a camp out together in WNF---Long Ridge Labor Day W.E.

Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I may see you there Mike. I want to go home to Avon Lake and see the family and ride with my buddies there, but our plans are up in the air right now. They are talking about coming down to ride Wayne, so who knows right now. I'm surprised I haven't gotten any feedback on this post. Usually I hear something the day I post from the locals. Also, I ordered my new spark arrestor silencer and some jets for the carb, so it should run much better, cleaner, and quiter the next time out and get better fuel milage too. I had the float set way too high, so I was losing a lot of gas out the overflow of the carb. Where are you planning on camping at, Camp Ohio and taking the "unofficial" connector over to Long Ridge?

Old 08-20-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

C-Bus, We're thinking about staying ON Long Ridge. There is acess from over near Buchtel. Don't know the SR # that the road is off of.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I got ya. You're actually going to stay at the parking area for LR. If my friends and I ride Wayne, it will be a day trip for them. They will leave Avon Lake around 6 or 7 and it will take them about 2 1/2 hrs to get to my place and then another hour or so to the trail head. I know where its at, so gettting there is no big deal. I haven't ridden LR yet. What's it like? I know Nick talked like he liked it but I also remember hearing that it can be pretty technical, especially if it rains. Finally, I won't know what we are doing until Thursday or Friday of next week anyways.

Old 08-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Colin

Long Ridge is a mix of tighter, more technical trails mixed with some great hill climbs. You can avoid some of the more difficult riding that Wrecks and 4-Man like. I haven't been over there this year. May have to do that in October. Long Ridge has some more serious hills than the other trails do and the trails tend to be narrower. It is also easier to get lost if you don't know where you are.

Old 08-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

MMM, getting lost is no big deal, that's what the GPS is for. With you guys, I know I don't need it, but with my friends from back home, I always carry it. When we go to Wellsville, it really comes in handy. That place has trails going every which way and nothing is marked because it isn't a true public riding area, as you can probably tell by the posts.

Backseatrider, are you out there? Any info?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Bump

Old 08-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was just there 8/23/02 and here's what happened. We went down the county road and turned on the road to go back by the old factory and got up to the RR tracks. They just put in new tracks and unless you have a 4X4 nad a tall sitting trailer...turn around. On the way in there were signs for OAK Tree Sportsmans club up Rt 39 advertised as a place to ride. We weren't interested in paying so we just went back to the train bridge & pulled off and parked. Under the other side was about 3 tents & bikes parked where evidently someone had a good party. Anyway, we were just ready to pull my 400ex off & some fatjerk who was very full of himself said "Don't park there unless you want a ticket." Then he proceded to bang a bottle he picked up off of the trash can to wake the partyers. I inquired as to why & he said he was the campsite director & we were on private property. I informed him that the road he strutted his fat butt down was a county road. He said "Yes, you're right but those are my campgrounds." "Anybody parking there is trespassing, anybody parked here is going to get a parking ticket because I'm going to call the police." He was in bed with Oak Tree Sportsman's club. The police will ticket because they will get money and whoever parked there is creating an obstacle for emergency vehicles. That county road is not legally provisioned for parking along it.
We just went to Oak Tree & paid $8.00 each person and went riding. I've got to admit that the new trails they have made are excellent. You can get from Oak Tree to the area you're used to by following 1 road. Simple. It is bad news having to pay but at least it's still open. Enough have found out about a good thing & have decided to cash in.
BTW, We stopped at that small campground just to the left when you pull up to the tracks. Some scummy looking guy said we could park for $10. I didn't want near that guy. So we went on.

Old 08-27-2002, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Zippy, thanks for the update. My guess is that this will last about 2 months before it shuts down and things go back to how they were. It seems like this happens every other year or so from what I can tell. It looks like my friends and I will be riding Wayne this weekend. They have never been there before and would rather spend the $5 for a single day pass there as opposed to spending $8 to ride Wellsville.

Quick Reply: Need update on Wellsville