Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Hungry Valley SVRA

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted on HV before, but thought I would do it again for those who may be new. This place has some of the best (roughest and most challenging!!) single track trail riding to be found in So. Calif. I rate it up there with the trails behind Lake Arrowhead, in the San Bernardino Mtns. (I would say the HV trails are more technical, and the Arrowhead trails are better groomed). Most of the really nasty stuff (Vic's Cat, Backbone, Badlands, -pitch it over the edge and fall 200' stuff) is one way, so you happily don't need to be concerned with oncoming traffic. This is no place for anyone but experienced TRAIL RIDERS who are not faint hearted!!

There is also a large valley, and lots of easy trails for the kids and beginners, plus a number of nice campgrounds. To get there, take I-5 to Gorman, and go north on Peace Rd. about 1 mile to the entrance.

Old 10-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

ahhh...Gorman/Hungry Valley! went a few weeks ago with the quad and zipped up and down the washes all morning.

I used to ride a Husquvarna up to Mt. Pinos back when I had muscles. I do recall those 200' drops. eeeoooowwww!!

Old 10-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Hi YZGUY,

We were there last weekend. We camped at the 4X4 testing grounds and rode to the CORVA event that was held in the motocross area (Quail ??).

Just me and my wife this weekend, no kids.

You are right, there are some very challenging trails but I like because it has something for everybody.

By the way I finally made my trip to Utah (Paiute trail) this summer. Wow what a trip!!! I will try to go again next year even if I have to travel 9 hours to get there.

Have you ridden Mammoth?? I want to take the toyhauler and family up there one of these days. I have heard that it is a great place to ride.

Regards
Marcopolo

Honda Rubicon
Honda Recon ES
Yamaha Breeze

Old 10-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mammoth is nice! Call 1-888-GO-MAMMOTH or www.visitmammoth.com and request the "Off-Highway Vehicle and Mtn. Bike Map". It is mostly easy fire road riding (follow the mtn. bike and snowmobile trail markers!!). Good family kind of stuff. The only really high altitude (semi technical) ride in that area is Laurel Lakes.

If you want some high altitude rides in that area, I recommend Bishop. I have posted on it a bunch of times. Search it and you will come up with something.

I'm going to have to do the Paiute trail thing next year.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey YZGUY,

I was wondering how do I get to Rasor from Temecula area?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Rasor is one of my favorite places!! There are no crouds even on holiday weekends, but you do have to fight the Vegas trafic on weekends. Take I-15 north. Rasor exit is two exits before Baker. Exit the freeway to the right (there is a store and gas station). Take the dirt road to the left (east). It will go a couple of miles headed east, then turn south. The best camping area is about 7 (?) miles in, where there are some hills and an old lake bed. (Don't camp in the trees at the end of the road! They look inviting, but the flies think the same thing too!). If you ride out a couple of miles to the west, there are some nice dunes. There are also trails in the hills, and sand flats down in the river bed. If the weather stays cool, I'm hoping to get out there pretty soon.

Old 10-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hey YZGUY,

When did you get the Z400?? Is that the new Suzuki sport quad???

Also when you go to Mammoth where do you stay or camp???

Regards
Marcopolo

Old 10-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the Quadsport Z400 several months now. It is still pretty much stock, because I have been backordered on the exhaust system. It is a real rever, but lacks low end power!! Should make a great desert machine, but I wouldn't pick it for a trail bike. So, I am going to keep the 400EX (and my daughter will start riding it), and I think we will sell the 300. My garage is just to crowded!!

In Mammoth, I usually stay in a friends condo. Mammoth area has "remote camping" in most areas. If you stay near town (like at Shady Rest) you can't ride from the campground (you have to trailer your bikes out to the dirt road-a real pain!). So, go out 3S08 (dirt road headed north from Shady Rest) a couple of miles (?), and there is a large sandy area off to the left. Here the kids can ride around, and you have access to the dirt roads right from your camp, and it is still a pretty quick trip back to town if you need something.

Another nice area is Deadman Creek, along road 2S05. You can access it from highway 395, and as I recall, it is the first left after the a Crestview Roadside Rest Area. Drive in several miles until just after you pass the Deadman campgrounds. The creek will be on your left, and you can camp down near the stream. Here, you are far away from town, so be sure you have everything you need.

We may be in the Bishop or Mammoth area Oct. 25-28. Anybody going to be in the area then????