Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Best place to get CO trail info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to get CO trail info?

I lied in my previous post...I have another question. When looking at sites like the COHVCO one you gave me I notice a lot of short (5...8...15 mile) trails. Do they connect to other trails, or are they part of a larger trail system...or are they just short? Would like to know. I'm not really interested in riding short trails(too much trailer time), but if they connect to larger ones or a bunch of other short ones they may be worthwhile.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

sprtsmnfan,

I am at work now, I will look at home to see the name of the movie I have and get back to ya. Those little booklets sound like a pretty neat deal, wish they did that here. I usually buy my maps at REI (sporting goods store) you can get some pretty nicely detailed maps of anywhere in the state. Some of the trail systems connect to one another, or if you can camp where some trails come together, you have plenty of riding for several days.

Old 10-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Thanks I'll wait to see which one it is.

The maps you buy at REI, are they just topo maps or actual trail maps? Trail I hope.
Where is REI?

What long trails (50+ miles) would you recommend? I obviously haven't had much luck finding info(maps, campgrounds, etc.) about the trails I picked earlier, so if you know of 3 or 4, and know where to find trail maps for them, I would appreciate the knowledge.

Who would've thought that finding info for Colorado-probably one of the most popular ATV states in the country- would be so hard?

Do me a favor. Check out this site MNDNR. Do you know of any books or sites like this?

Old 10-24-2002, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

The maps at REI are topo maps with trails on them, broken down into small areas of the state. They have some stores in Minnesota, not sure where you are. Here is their web site, I have not found the maps I get on the web site though, I just get them from the local store.REI. I checked out the web site you included, looks nice, I am not aware of anything like that for here. As far as long trails, I like going to the sand dunes near Walden, sand dunes plus jeep roads all around them that head off to nice fishing. I have camped/rode in the North Park area since I was a kid, lots of dirt roads/logging roads/4wd roads to explore. I also go riding near Buena Vista. There are a lot of trails around that area. I forgot to get the video, I just wrote myself a note and stuck it in my billfold to remember..

Old 10-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

Checked out that REI site and solved at least one of my problems...I found a campground guide for Colorado![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Too bad they don't put the ATV maps on the site.(so close, yet so far away) I guess that would be too easy.
About those maps, what info do they give?-trail difficulty?,-trail class?(ORV, ATV, etc.)-trail heads?
What do they cost? How much area do they cover? Take the Pearl Pass trail that goes from Aspen to Crested Butte for example. Do you think I would be able to find one of these maps that covers the entire trail?

Thanks for all the help tmm2good. I appreciate it.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Video, ATV trail guide on the order form. Thats the 1 I have, 15 different areas, 90 minutes. Sticker on tape calls it "The trails of Colorado"

Maps, the REI maps are regular topo/trail maps ..showing dotted lines for 4x4 roads, etc.. No listing of difficulty or ability to ride OHV (non liscened).They are 5 bucks and cover about a 15 mile by 15 mile range, so for some trails, you would need 2 maps. I have 1 of the ATV trail guide books from fay myers,(forgot about that earlier) they show camping, difficulty, accomodations. You could watch the video and then order some maps for the particular trail you are interested in. I also have 1 of the individual trail maps from fay myers I could fax you or make a copy and send you so you can see what they are like.

Hope this helps, I know there are other Colorado folks on here who might have other suggestions..Let me know if you have any more questions I can try to answer.

Old 10-27-2002, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

Awesome!!
Video sounds great. ATV trail guide book...Is that the name on the order form??? That sounds like the exact info I am looking for! As soon as I find a fax machine at work I can use I will let you know.

Have you, or anyone you know, ever use the trail maps from trailsillustrated.com? I believe they are produced by National Geographic. I found one for the Breckenridge area a one for Pearl Pass and was wondering if they were any good. Probably won't check these out unless I have too, but if they are good, why not?

At this rate I will have $100 spent on this trip before I even start packing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. At least it will be done right. Thanks much for the help.

Old 10-28-2002, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, thats what they are called on the order form, ATV trail guide book, they have 2 of em, I will bring mine into work and see where all it covers. I have a friend that has one of those National Geographic maps, they seem to be pretty good. I will have to fax you from work, I work 11pm to 7am mtn time. Talk at ya later...

Old 10-29-2002, 05:29 AM
Pro Rider

Well, now that I have taken you clear around the block to get next door..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I need to stop drinking so much beer so I can remember what I do and don't have. The ATV Trails of colorado volume 2 is what I have. It lists ten locations to ride. In the Fay Myers site I found them under the product listing. There is a listing of all the trails they have these maps for, that give trail info, and accomodations. Sorry I did not mention this earlier.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey, as long as I get there, it's all good...I do have until next August to get my **** wired tight.
Question: If the maps also provide trail and accomodation info, what do I need the trail guide for?...Just to decide which ones I am interested in?

Accomodations? Please define...(just wanna make sure).

About that fax machine, I think I may have struck out on that one. Not supposed to do personal stuff at work, and am not at work during those times. Oh well, if they are anything close to the maps you saw on that website I gave you I will be ok. Are they close?...better?...worse?

Quick Reply: Best place to get CO trail info?