Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anyone riding the Lake Murry area around Denton, Tx?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone riding the Lake Murry area around Denton, Tx?

My wife and I will be spending a few days around Christmas in the Denton, Tx. area with our kids. I understand there is some good riding around Lake Murry or Lake Murrey. I'm not sure how it's spelled. Any information you can provide about what part of the lake is open to ATV's, how good it is, and anything else about the area will be appreciated.

Ted

Old 10-31-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have been to Lake Murray and all the places around Denton. Denton is about 10 mintues from my house. Here is the lowdown on the places near there in order of closest to Denton to farthest from Denton:

Rocky Ridge: Cool place out in Sanger. Decent trails there. Not too big but pretty fun.

Red River Cycle Ranch: Mainly built for dirt bikes but has some decent trails. Havent been in years becuase of all the dirt bikers.

Lake Murray: Pretty fun place with lots of trails. Some trials are very tight so be careful with the trees. There are a ton of dirt bikes there.

I have information and pictures from some of these places on my site if you want to look.

www.ansley.net

Old 10-31-2002, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

TEXMud,

I think I first got the idea of riding lake Murray from your web page. I thought at the time that we could ride while we visit our kids at Christmas. If I remember correctly, I think I saw an ATV with a snorkle and maybe a few photos of ATV's with water up near the handlebars. Looked like fun, but maybe a little hard on the machines. I guess I was asking if we can ride Lake Murray without first having to equip our machines to operate under water. I don't mind steep trails, narrow trails, muddy trails, or even just wet trails, but i'm not so sure about trails that are five feet under water. I plan on riding near Denton some at Christmas and then go on up to Wolf Gap after that. That time of year, I maybe should plan on riding snowmobiles instead of ATV's.

Ted

Old 10-31-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

You wont need a snorkle unless you are planning on submerging your quad in the lake itself. The trails can be muddy at times but nothing you'll sink a ride into. At least none ive run across in going out there for the last several years. Of all the places that were listed I like Lake Murray the best. There are a few tight trails if you get way over on the east side of the place where it gets marshy in the back woods. Been there and don't want to go back, took us like an hour to get every one down the trail after we all got stuck so many times. It was pretty mucky. There is some good exploring out there and most trails manageable for many skill levels of riders. Have a good time.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Dont worry about snorkels or anything like that. Any pictures you have seen on my site in deep water have not been at Lake Murray. The only water out there is the lake itself. Jennifer has a Banshee so she didnt like the east side of the place. Me being a 4wd person....that was the only side I thought was cool. The west side is all sand and wide open spaces. The east side is trails through the woods with 4-5 good mud holes. Let me know when you are in town, maybe I can muster up a group to show you around.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Lake Murray is the best ATV place around the north Dallas area that I have found. Lots of good trails, woods, and an open area with lots of sand. Good mud holes too if you want, but don't worry about getting stuck in deep mud unless you get back in the east side like others said. I just moved here a year ago and TexMudder's website has been a huge help in finding places to ride. There is also a decent place at Red River ATV park, a ways further east on the OK-TX border. I think their website is redriveratv.com. You can ride into the Red River and they are continuously improving the riding area. Grapevine lake was also a good ride and is worth a trip over there. Have fun!

Old 10-31-2002, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Seeing as how you visit my site and are in the area, if you know of any places that I can add to my list dont be shy! Email them to me.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

TEXMud,

You have all the places listed that I know about in this area and you have ridden a lot more of them than I have. I will let you know if I see anything new.

You don't by any chance work at one of the hospitals in the Denton area do you? Our daughter does and she works with some guy that rides lake murray a lot. Just curious!

Thanks,

Ted

Old 11-01-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Not me.