Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS

In my hood we have lost 11 bikes/quads in the last 2 months! No trailers that I know of though.It's the "skin heads" "**** low riders" according to the cops stealin them in my area,they have been seen stealing the bikes and even ridden by the house they was stolen from!

Cops are unable to arrest em since they havn't cought them with the goods yet.They are either storing them somewhere else or sellin them quickly.

Bout 3 weeks ago they broke into a neighbors garage (they crawled through a doggy door)@ 8 am while they was home and stole a 99' CR80.....all the neighbors heard was the bike starting up and saw em riding off on it.

Couple of days later a quad and the cr was seen going down the street and some other neighbor kids(11-14 yrs old) gave chase but wern't able to catch them.

Since then I chained my quad to the quad I'm fixin with a big ol chain and a huge masterlock.

And my 12 guage is loaded with double ott and slugs.I even shoot a couple rounds off every week or so just to let em know I have it. So far so good.......knock on wood.

Old 11-09-2002, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the subject of security devices...
I have to agree about the cable locks they are junk. i cut through a 5/8" cable in about 4 minuts w/ a hacksaw, a cordless sawzall will do it in under 30 seconds.
chains- as a general rule the higher the tensile strength, the harder the metal is and thus the harder it is to cut.
U-locks- kryptonite is the best made(i did a study)... especially the top line of 'evo2000' and 'new york lock'... the metallurgy in these two models is superior to others.
padlocks- usually bigger names are better, the bigger it is, the bigger the bolt cutter has to be or the longer it'll take to cut it.
one thing to remember is that no security device is foolproof, the idea is to slow them down and discourage the theft... and from the thieve's standpoint- there's easier things to steal once you've taken some precautionary measures.

Old 11-09-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 14" single axle trailer and I keep my bike on it in the garage (truck in driveway blocking garage)

On trips I put a padlock through the rear disc brake and have a HUGE chain and lock it to my truck.

One buddie takes his front tire off his motorcycle and keeps it hidden, and another keeps his bike in his kitchen (has a condo with a carport)

Another guy takes his toy hauler tires off and keeps it on blocks.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

One of the Mountain Bike magazines did an article on security. They got a bunch of "former" professional thieves together and asked them to defeat a variety of security devices. The results were that the Kryptonite "New York" chain and lock were the only ones they couldn't defeat!! They are expensive, but it is worth the extra money.

I just chain my bikes up in a big circle. Every bike is attached to two others. Nobody is going to get far trying to drag away 8 bikes!! Plus, the garage has a security system.

Old 11-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Good info everybody - Thanks!!! Gives us all something to think about.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

one thing that I saw my dealer did on his own snowmobile trailer is he takes the tongue jack off and leaves the tongue on a block, granted its only going to work on a big trailer but its an idea. He also takes one or more of the rims off of the trailers....as he says, you can't stop them from stealing anything, all you can do is slow them down and make them work for it

Old 11-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

YZGuy, there's been more than that UNFORTUNATLEY. Here in the Northend of San Bernardino, Highland, ect.. has been a prime target. A friend of mine had there trailer stolen along with a buggy and two custom drag bikes. I'm not sure if they have caught these people yet. They located a part to my friends quad in new york some where. They are NOT stealing for the pleasure of it and these arn't small time theives. Please!! Please!! lock your stuff up!!! Be on the look out and look for suspicious activities in your neiborhood!!

Old 11-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Stargirl-You new to the forum?? If so, welcome!!

Unfortunately, I have to load up out in the street. Lots of people take a good hard look at my bikes while I am doing it. You don't know if they are just interested in the bikes, or INTERESTED IN THE BIKES!!! My friend who is the cop (I mentioned him earlier) doesn't even chain his bikes up. Maybe he has good insurance, and is hoping they will get stolen so he can get a new ride?

Old 11-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Looks like I am going to be buying the New York Lock and Hexagonal chain by Kryptonite. It is definitely worth the money and I would prefer to keep my bike and trailor both. Its terrible that we have to work hard to get our toys but it is worse that we have to work harder to keep them....crappy world we live in huh ?

<U>So where is the best places to buy the Kryptonite New Lock and Chain...best prices, etc. ??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]</U>

Old 11-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

Stargirl.....welcome to the forums...where you can talk and ask about anything and usually will find great info. provided....again welcome

Sorry for double post !!!

Quick Reply: So. Calif.-TRAILER THEFTS