Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Just got back from Cochranton Pa poker run

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay this is jerry from up state ny
this was my first atv poker run and it was a blast .
i was riding my ds650 which has the ct racing pipe on it my friends were on lt 500 zilla, 92 ban
and a 250 kaw
the only problem with the ride were the utilities
they went painfully slow on all the trails
i would suggest to the organizers of the event to set the starting time with a one hour window on the beginning for the sport quads to get out in front if they so desire to
the ds was great in the trails and in the open .
hay ill see you in salamanca.

ride hard ride fast!

Old 04-03-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

What a blast! This was our first year for this run...had to come after watching the vidio of a prior year with some friends that have gone since the home opener. Got in around 6pm on Friday evening and heard that we missed the Mud Man exhibit! Couldn't believe the traffic jam on the way in...took an hour from the red light to the camping area. We were lucky enough to stay (by invitation) next to the registration barn with members of the AHPA and look down on the massive crowd below. We rode trail B taking about 4 hours to complete including several stops for some grub and gas. The only hangup was the last stretch of "B" in the swamp...it took an hour to get though that mess with ruts deeper than your knee caps. And don't forget the roots in there too! Myself and a few others had the pleasure of test riding a week old ds650 and all agreed that it is just too heavy although the power was incredible and it rode like your living room couch with wheels. I was surprised to see no reps there for the ATV connection. Hats off to Carrols nursery...what a well oiled machine. See ya next year!

Next stop....Madera, PA poker run, April 30.

Madera Poker Runs

Old 04-03-2000, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

EXtreme,
Maybe I didn't see it right, but the ad on the homepage led me to believe that The Connection was going to have a booth or something. I too was disappointed that I didn't see them. Where was Tree Farmer, I was looking forward to meeting him? I really impressed myself with that swamp. I was going through stuff that even turned my more experienced friends on 4x4's around. Have you or anyone else been to Madiera before and how does it compare to Cochranton? More than one trail, how long, how many riders, lots of mud, etc? I would be interested in going. It has got to be more challenging than the TDF.
Dan

Old 04-03-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Dan98, Did Madera last fall and it was a blast...only 800 riders, less than 100 camping overnight, 10 bucks, homecooked meals to buy on site, one trail, 25 miles one way traffic, three checkpoints w\no gas or food, second round free, mud, water, hillclimbs, play areas, great people.

email me for some local riding spots

Old 04-03-2000, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Im thinking on going on the next run that is offered but I have want to know how you get gas? Are you supposed to bring extra on you quad or what? Thanks for the info.

Old 04-03-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

no need to carry gas...any quad should be able to make a 25 mile run blindfolded. We ran a couple 400ex's and banshees full throttle on the fall poker run and only used two inches of fuel.

Old 04-03-2000, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quad 500/650,
Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought that the problem was not with the Utilities, but some of the sport bikes. They fly by you..usally with a roost...just so you can wait for them to get pulled out of the next mud hole. Now this does'nt mean everybody, but I had several pass me on tight trails and a few minutes later I would be waiting on them to get out of a mud hole. After all it is a poker run...The real racers wait for GNC series to show there stuff, not passing fat old men and children on a layed back trail ride.

Nothing personal...just my two cents.
Mike Perry

Old 04-03-2000, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Gota tell you guys on your sport quad, a poker run was never intended to be a race. The only bottle necks on trail a was from the sport quads that got stuck in the mud and had trouble gettin onto the bridges. If you want to be in a race that go for it. Now dont get me wrong i ride as hard as the next guy, im just not about to get myself into any trouble that my *** cant cash. I saw a few crashes and they were caused by someone not using their heads, as a matter of fact one guy used his to break his fall. Considering he wasnt usin a helmet hes lucky he still has his head. Although im sure it still hurts. The fact of the matter of fact id like to see this event get turned into a 2 day event it might relive some of the congestion. Btw me and my crew was parked on top of the crappers in the main campground with the converted bus with the loud *** generator, See ya guys next year

Old 04-04-2000, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I was there too. We were in the field that cost $10 to camp. We go back towards the woodline. You may have seen two white banners hanging up high between the trees. That was us. Mike Chero was with our group as well. He blew an engine I believe, I'll have to e-mail him to find out what the diagnosis is. We started with 13 quads and finished with 10. Blown engine and two flat tires and a broken skid plate. The only problem I had all day was at the end of trail C I was behind some slower folks and my radiator was so clogged with mud that my hot light came on. I pulled over and let it cool for a minute with the help of some of the creek water. Other than that minor annoyance it was a great day! I swear, next year some one else can cook the food and I am going to walk around more and get to meet some people. I haven't been posting here much either because of a job change and a divorce but things are settling down quite a bit for me now, so you guys should be seeing more of me. See ya.

Old 04-05-2000, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Scott,

I just got the verdict on my Sport's engine. Celeste's brother told me it was from excessive piston/cylinder wall clearance. It should be back up and running in no time. As long as you make the "awesome leek dip", Brian can do the cooking. I swear he will make someone a fine wife someday

Quick Reply: Just got back from Cochranton Pa poker run