Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Just got back from Cochranton Pa poker run

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone else went? Maybe i saw u.

Old 04-02-2000, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was there along with three friends.We were first timers. We had a great time. I still can't believe how many people were there.The thing that I could not understand was out of all of those machines we only saw one other Kawasaki Prarie,thats what all three of us ride. A lot of Polaris,Honda, Yamaha, the rest had a good variety but no Kaws. Did you notice any Kawasaki? If you did it was probably us. What trail did you ride? We were on c,we got started early and were loaded to come home at 1145 am.People were still lining up to register when we left.They were almost at 8000 machines when we left.Blaster maybe we will see you there next year.

Old 04-02-2000, 06:08 PM
tph
Weekend Warrior

First time for me too. I also rode trail C. I thought the folks who organized it did a super job. Plus the weather was perfect.

I was finished about 11:30am too. Next year I will plan to ride two trails.

About the only thing I would work on would be the vendors/displays. I tried to buy a pack for my rack (soft) but nobody had them for sale--just display models. I am basing my opinion on my success at getting a particular item, but it seemed that most folks wanted to sell machines but not much else. A very minor complaint on my part. Overall it was a very, very well run effort.

Old 04-02-2000, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

I only seen a few Kawasaki machines all day. I could not believe how many 400ex's were there. I also seen alot of 300ex's, banshee's, warriors, blasters, a few DS650's, and a ton of polaris machines. The first half of the day was miserable, but the second half was a blast. It took us almost 4 hours to go the first 8 miles on trail B. After that it thinned out and we were able to have a great time. I think that things would not get backed up so much if they would make trails to bypass a few of the mudholes that were impassable to everything but the 4x4's. That would let the sport bikes get through without getting stuck and holding things up. We had a great time in spite of the traffic jams and will definately go back next year.

Old 04-02-2000, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

We went down to the Cochranton Poker Run also. We are from Upstate New York and had roughly 30 of us to make the trip. We got into town on Thursday and had alot of fun. My husband rode the ride, as I stayed behind, and had as much fun walking around meeting everyone from all over the U.S.. Organization of that amount of a turn out is amazing. Great work on their part. Hope to see you all there next year, along with the new recruits that we pick up along the way. This was our 4th year going, wouldn't miss it for the world.
Bette-Be-Bad
from ATV chat.

Old 04-02-2000, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got back today, four of us on 4 bys drove up from Indy, 2 Kaw's and 2 Yama's. Had a great time, got there Thursday and had # 2501 of a possible 7157, thats alot of machine's. We got into the line about 5 am and were about 100 bike's back. We hit trail "b" and were back at the trailer by noon, so we hit trail "c", had it finished by 4:15. The only casuality was my Big Bear threw both brake shoe's locking up the rear brake's....as I was crossing a road.... we pushed it out of the road, dropped out the shoe's and finished the rest of the day with only front brake's
We put in 67 mile's on those trails and I have to say "c" seemed tougher than "b". The "Black Lagoon" on "c" had 40 quads trying to find a way across, and the rocks would wear your arms down.
By the way...did anybody see Mud Man in the camp grounds the night before the run? This guy ties a logging chain around his waist and lets a atv pull him through a mud hole while he is on his stomach.....beer does strange things to your sense's. Seen a couple of fights, but not really wild. These kind of things could give the run a bad name, perhaps some added security in the camp grounds would save this from getting shut down in the future....by the way...got some great pics.
Only heard of 1 accident a guy had a Grizz roll over on him....in the pit area...ambulance came and got him..thats all I know. All in all a good time, would like to thank the Commenwealth of Pennsylvania, the Town of Cochranton, the AHPA and all it's peaple for a great time.

Mike Perry

Old 04-02-2000, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

got back this afternoon, brought back a ton of mud with me!!!, Was my second year rode trail C, got done about 3ish, last year the trail was a bit longer and more hills. Had a great time in the mud pit on trail C, the 4 wheel drives definately worked well, I was doin donuts all over. will be back next year if the price doesn't go up again. I rode with friends that live in a few towns from the run, we had two scramblers, two sporstmans an old warrior that burns oil and a blaster, The two wheelers only got stuck in the mud pit while we were spinnin all over. Had a great time, heard ESPN was there? maybe it'll be on TV, hope it doesn't get too much bigger.

Old 04-03-2000, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer

My girlfriends brother went. I guess his friends and him got lost and enden up on privite property. I guess some cop got the number of their helmet and when they showed up at the end the all got a fine for $100. Does anyone have any pics of the place and its trails and hills. Id love to see some it you could send them to me at audioal@forcomm.net thanks

Old 04-03-2000, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Blackbear, I saw a black Hummer pull in with 4 Kaw's on aluminum trailer. Also seen about 2 dozen more out on the trail.

Old 04-03-2000, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

This was my second year at Cochranton. We got off earlier this year which reduced a lot of the congestion that we experienced last year. I got there at 4:00 pm on Friday and couldn't believe the size of the crowd already there-had to camp in the third camping area. Partied and shared a fire with a bunch of great guys from Cleveland. Four of us rode trail "B" (Sportsman, 400 Fourtrax, 400 Sport, and my Warrior. The only time I got really stuck was when I had to stop in the first big mud hole as somebody drifted over in front of me, but my buddy pulled me out and we were on our way without much delay. Considering the size of the crowd, I think the organization and the effort put forth by the AHPA is exemplary. Although the trails are great, we probably won't go back next year. It is getting a little to big and we might try some of the other runs like Salamanca and Greenwood. We ride Marienville frequently but Cochranton is like opening day, it gives you something to look forward to all winter. All in all, we had a great time. The displays were good. the band was good, the fireworks were a nice added touch, and the ride was terriffic. Can't wait for May 26th when the Marienville trails open though.

Quick Reply: Just got back from Cochranton Pa poker run