Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding areas near North Central Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2000 | 11:35 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm looking for more riding areas within a reasonable drive of the Dallas area. I ride at rocky ridge & bulcher.

Old 04-06-2000 | 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Scoobie;

Glad to see you got it.(ds650)..Last time we talked it was supposed to be in a couple days later.. I am with you on trying to find another place to ride. Rocky Ridge is cool but after you visit a couple of times it is time to move on.

I am not familiar with Bulcher..

Have you been to Muenster?

Also, I have found a place in Bonham that is right on the Red River and has lots of sand.To get there you take 75 North to 121 take 121 north to Bonham and then go North again on 78 till you get to the bridge. There are a few Banchees out there from time to time. Mainly locals, but is a place to go and it is not too far...actually closer than Rocky Ridge or Muenster.
Let me know if you have any luck..

I was planning a trip to Clayton, OK this weekend and was taking the wife and kids. Just found out. No Hotels(fishing tournament), would camp but the lows are supposed to be in the 40's and it is also Turkey season and don't really want to get shot at this weekend.

FYI--Clayton, I have been told has about 60,000 acres of trail riding, mountains. People have been taking Jeeps there for years. My wife Spoke with a man that has a tour ride going this weekend.. $60.00 per quad. That includes camping and meals and the tour. Leaves the camp ground at 8:00am Saturday for the tour ride and then Sunday he told her that something about horseback riding to church or something like that..I think it was sarcasm and what he meant was that the horseback riding was the service. I don't know??? I have talked to him once and if you don't camp at his campground he doesn't want to give much info..This is a three hour drive from here.Requires a permit for each quad. about $30.00. Directions: Hwy 82 east from Bonham to Paris then take Hwy 271 North from Paris to Clayton.. Let me know if you would like more info. I will be planning another trip real soon..Hopefully no fishing Tourny then..

There are some places in East Texas too.
Fun-Wheeler Park in Longview. It is approx. 1000 acres, It has a track(made just for you!!ds650) and I have heard that the were building a sand drag area. The rest of it when I was there was all mud. There were a couple of Honda 250's out there when I went, all the rest were utility quads..

Tony

Tony

Old 04-07-2000 | 11:05 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

TO_Y28, Bulcher is the same as Muenster. Fun Wheeler, Shiloh Ridge, and Little Sahara are on my list to check out.

Old 04-08-2000 | 03:21 PM
Range Rover

ScoobyDFW

I recently went to Mena Arkansas.. it's the second time I've been and it's a lot of fun. If you live in DFW, it's a long drive, but if you stay for 3 or 4 days, it's worth it.. The number to WOLF PEN ATV CAMPGROUND is 501-394-0404.. it's sorda a bad thing to say, but if you bring the old guy that works there a case of beer, he'll give you a discount.. i don't know from experience but that's just what my friend's said. If you give me your email address, I'll send you a map and directions if you would like to go..

David

Old 04-08-2000 | 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't made it much south of the red river but nobody mentioned:

Marshall Creek Park at Grapevine Lake; close but kinda small when the lake is up. It is free but you have to leave at sunset.

On the north side of Lake Murray south of Ardmore in Oklahoma. Free riding and camping.

I heard of areas at the Flying P in Weatherford Tx. and Lake Lavon in Plano. Haven't been to either. ScoobyDFW or anybody else know about them?

There is another spot on the red river south of Davidson OK. Park under the bridge.

Old 04-10-2000 | 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

Cody;

I have been to Lavon...Not much there...It is small and a lot of washouts..It is best for a 4 wheel drive quad after a good rain..Other than that it isn't much. Not worth the drive from Oklahoma City...

I think that the place you were talking about on the Red river is the same place that I was referring to in my reply..

Have you ever been to Clayton? I beleive the area is called Honobia Creek. I went this past weekend to check it out.. I hope to have some of the pictures posted in my Yahoo photo section soon. I had a good time there...Pretty rough with all of the rocks but other than that it seemed pretty good. Lots of area.. If you purchase a pass you can ride in the approx. 60,000 acres. Just watch out for the jeeps!!
Big hills, mud, creeks, and did I mention the rocks? I am planning another trip to this area for this summer. Usually go to Arkansas and ride for a few days but after long rides on the quad it is hell to drive the 6 hours home.

Old 04-10-2000 | 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Where is Clayton? Sounds like a cool place and with 60,000 acres you could ride for days without seeing the same trail twice.

Old 04-10-2000 | 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby.... I was at Fun Wheeler Park this past weekend.. There were TWO DS-650's out there ripping up the place... probably 2-3 Banshees, a wicked sounding white and red 250R, a couple of 300EX's, several Warriors and Blasters and my buddy had his 400EX out there. I tried to drag race any of them... even the DS guys wouldnt run my Magnum 500 (in reverse!!!hahahaa) It seems that every weekend, there are more and more sport quads out there... There are also a LOT of good riding trails with very little to no mudholes in them... Every mudhole has a "Honda trail" around it...
I did see one of the DS-650's drag race against a 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4... I gotta say, the Scrambler held his own pretty dang good, at the finish line there was only about half the DS infront of the Scrambler... The Scrambler had Holeshot tires and an RCR kit on it... But, then again, the DS NEVER got thru 3 rd gear either..
They are BAD!!.. Defintely BAD!!.. They jsut have that THUMP sound to them..
Anyway.. Fun Wheeler Park is having an event weekend that last weekend in April... Good chance to get on the MX track and the drag strip...!!..

Old 04-11-2000 | 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

Clayton, Ok.

It is southeast of McAlester. The way I went was through Paris, TX and through Hugo,OK.
This is area east of Lake Clayton.
There is some information at www.shopoklahoma.com
and ou might do a search on both Kiamichi Mountains and Honobia Creek.
Hope this helps...

There is a mountain climb there that makes the hill climb at Rocky Ridge look like a little bump. I have now climbed both, I will never climb the one in Oklahoma again. When I made it to the top I had cramps in both arms and had to sit at the top about ten minutes to rest.

Old 04-11-2000 | 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Man, the hill at Rocky Ridge wears my fat @ss out, there aint no way Id try that other one!

Quick Reply: Riding areas near North Central Texas?