Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan Riders

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Riders

Just wondering if any one rides on any large frozen bodys of water? Where are they at? I'm thinking of goin tdown to anchor bay

Old 01-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Michigan Riders

Biggest frozen water party in the state is 'Tip Up Town'; this month at the largest inland lake, Houghton.

John

Old 01-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Michigan Riders

I'll be up at T.U.T. this weekend. Houghton lakes a little on the thin side...was only 4" at best last week and the mouths are flowing like no tomarrow. might just stick to the trails ( St. Helen ) or enjoy the BEER tent , lol

footnote;

Several snowmobilers and ice anglers fell through ice on various bodies of water throughout the state over the weekend. Michigan State Police confirmed the following fatalities:

* Two snowmobilers on Long Lake in Traverse County, Jan. 9

* One ice angler on Long Lake, Jan. 11

* Two snowmobilers on Houghton Lake in Roscommon County, Jan. 12

Those planning outings on frozen waterways during the coming weeks are urged to exercise extreme caution. Recent weather trends have created unpredictable ice on most Michigan waters. The following guidelines can help keep outdoor enthusiasts safe and dry:

* Four inches of ice will generally hold an average-sized person on foot. Snowmobiles and ORVs need at least eight inches of solid, consistent ice.

* Ice does not form with uniform thickness on any body of water. Underwater springs or currents can wear thin spots on any body of water.

* Clear ice is the strongest. Ice formed by melted and refrozen snow appears milky, is very porous and very weak. Ice covered by snow should always be presumed unsafe.

Be smart, be safe.......Scott

Old 01-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Michigan Riders

Thanks for taking the time to remind everybody about this, Scott; it is always the people that take this info for granted that end up going in.

Two things that I ran into on Houghton Lake while snowmobiling:

#1) Totally unpredictable high speed traffic intersecting from all directions

#2) Pressure cracks. These ice formations can rise up to 4 feet high and very long or be covered up by fresh snow and almost invisible. I got separated from my group in a whiteout and slowed down enough to encounter one right in front of me that, by the grace of god, I shot right through the middle of(a perfect 'v' just wide enough for my sled).

Don't be a statistic.

John