Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Kitsatchee Forrest in Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kitsatchee Forrest in Louisiana

Anyone ride in the Kisatchee National Forrest in Western Lousiana lately. Just wondering how the riding is and how to get to the trails. Do you take LA 117 out of Leesville toward Natchoteches? If I remember correctly, there was a national forrest maintanence barn and office about halfway between Leesville and Natchoteches on 117. I remember some roads or trails behind the forrest service buildings. Is that where you ride the ATV's?

I seem to remember some area around there being closed by the military at Fort Polk last year. Seems they found some live artillary rounds in the area and people were riding their ATV's in the area where the live rounds were found. Any information on that will be appreciated.

Also, is that little motel across from Hodges Gardens on LA 171 still open? Seems like a good place to stay a few days and then drive over and ride the forrest.

Thanks in advance!

Ted

Old 02-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes there are trails to ride. Plenty to keep you busy for a few days. Riding is fun with 4x4s. Dont sugguest it with a sport bike. yes take 117 out of leesville heading north 25 minutes into the woods you will see two ranger areas. Not the first one. Its the second with the fenced in area with all of there trucks. About 10 minutes from the little town of Kisatchie. Take the road at the forestry service area and head east for about 5 minutes and you will see an open area to park and the trails go for a long way. I dont sugguest staying in Hodges Gardens. Best to stay in Natch. at the hotels off interstate 49. Its closer and they are new. 18 minutes from the riding area. Camp Claybourne was shut down for awhile because of it but if im correct its open again. Claybourne is south of Alexandria. Try to go to Kisatchie when its had a few days to dry. It tends to get real muddy.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with big DS, I would not take anything with aclutch or low to the ground. There a few rocky sections and washouts that are hard as hell to get through with a 4x4. I liked the trail, I rode it a few times when I had my big bear. It is a long loop that will take you at least five hours to complete with a few breaks in there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

Hey 1BigdsRider and Delta Dog,

Thanks for the information. I usually ride on private property and am not up on the rules for riding ATV's in national forrests in Louisiana. Do they require any special riding gear, flags on ATV's, state registration papers, or anything else unusual?

Thanks

Ted

Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

You need spark arrestors for sure, I think the db limit is 96, you don't need flags or helmets, and I'm not sure if you can ride when it's raining - because of erosion.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I've been itching to go up there to check it out. Are you planning on going any time soon?

Old 02-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey fella's, I think all us Louisiana riders should get together and have a big ride sometime. We could get some pics and post them here on the forum, anyone else up for it?

Old 02-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Count me in. I may be going to LA Dunes on the 23rd.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:01 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Count me in.I'll be there the 23rd also.Later.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I will try to make it on the 23rd. Not sure yet. I will let you know.

Quick Reply: Kitsatchee Forrest in Louisiana