Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Big Cypress National Preserve, Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Cypress National Preserve, Florida

I am looking for some extreme riders to experience Big Cypress National Preserve
I say extreme because a beginner would never make it.

Requirements are as follows:
permit from the preserve = $50 per year and a 45 minute video explaining the rules
4 wheel drive ATV or buggy (must be approved by the ranger)
GPS and the knowlege of how to use it

Rewards:
700,000 acres of riding, some hardpacked trails, some wet trails, some swamp trails
and wilderness like you've never seen

we will ride through oak hammocks, cypress swamps, prairies and more

A buddy went last week for one hour after getting certified - just to check it out
he made a simple ten mile loop into and out of the easy part - he said it was the most challenging, bumpy and wild ride he has been on in a while

Anyone want to test their endurance (both bike and body)

Let me know and we will start the wheels turning

See ya on the trails

Gary Mudder

Old 03-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

i've never been there but from an old hunting buddy he told me it gets pretty wet. I would be up for it just gotta go through the class thing, don't know how to get there and don't have a GPS. I know its good to have a GPS but if its a must to ride even if someone your riding with has one then i'll check them out and purchase one and update you. By the way i'm extreme so you could count me in. Try to get some more guys and we can make it a big thing.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

Great! Get the class and permit process over with, we will get a group and hit the trails!
Lightman (posts frequently) is a buddy of mine and he has ridden Big Cyp / Bear Island
several times...it's been years since I went there, but COUNT US IN!

I also saw your River Ranch post - sounds good, too!

GPS not a problem if your riding buddies are good at navigating with it - it's easy once you learn the basics...a good tool to have

keep me posted

Gary

...and extreme is the bare minimum

Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

After looking at your profile, I think Bear Island/all of Big Cypress would not be suitable for your type of sled

Big Cypress is mainly 4x4 country, but 2wd can do it with lots of effort and buddy support

You might better enjoy:

1. Ocala National Forest
2. Palm Bay (the compound)(Ive never been)
3. Croom (aka woop city)
4. Cape Doral (Renamed to protect the spot)
5. River Ranch (private riding area-owners and visitors only)

Our next ride is looking like the first weekend in April
no set location yet, but my vote will be #4.

all are invited

Gary C
954-747-8814

my vote is

Old 03-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

I'd be interested in knowing where your gonna be riding the 1st weekend of april. If its not that far i'd join yas. I just put my FMF Megamax 2 on today and jet kit and wanna see the little gain i got for the mud.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey whats up my cousins and i are intrested in the bigcypress run he has a 660 grizzly 4x4 his girlfriend has a 400 yamaha big bear 4x2 their kids have a 50 polaris scrambler and a pw50 yamaha dirt bike and i have the 650 prairie vtwin 4x4 and r not scared to ride get back to me my names brandon e mail me at darkclown7@aol

Old 03-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'm definitely up for a big cypress ride sometime soon. As Gary said, Big Cypress is not very well suited to 2wd/sport quads. As the season becomes more rainy, most of the trails will be pretty tough for 4x4's, 2wd's forget it. Also, dirtbikes are not allowed at Big Cypress, nor is riding double. The scenery is certainly something, and beware the deep soupy mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I buried my quad so badly out there that it took a swamp buggy 5 or 6 tries to yank my quad out, and resulted in the swamp buggy getting stuck, and having to winch itself out. Serious goop!

While a GPS is definitely recommended and a nice reassurance, I dont think its 100% necessary. The visitor center provides detailed maps of the area. If you stick to the main signed trails, especially bear island, its simple to get around and everything pretty much dumps you back in the same place. Once you venture off the trails (which can get you a ticket) you had better know the area really well, or have a gps with good knowledge of it's use. (and serious mud tires![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])