Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wayne National Forest, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone rode in the Wayne National Forest? We are planning a trip there in July and would like some tips. We will probably be riding the Athens area. Which trails are best and where should we camp while there? I would appreciate any information on this area.

Old 04-19-2000, 01:27 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply Extreme. You are right. These are GREAT trails. They are the best trails I've every been on but they are poorly marked, unlike the Marienville trails, where you find "you are here" maps at every intersection. It wasn't a dangerous trail but still a little challenging when going fast, the hills wern't too steep but had some ruts, rocks, vertical shelfs but nothing to worry about but if not carefull I guess you could get into trouble. If you like to go fast whith ALLOT of errosion bump jumps, this is the place. I couldn't walk the next day from all the jumps you have to stand for. I dont like boring flat trial which this is not. Great berms every where. It rained both days we were there so if you didn't jump'em you were getting a bath. I recommed these trails to anyone. You'll love'em. These were the Athen area trails I rode. Monday creek system. Park & camp at the North most parking area, (off of 278 or 378 or something like that, I cant recall the road, but I'll find out for you) out of the 2 choises in the maze of trails thats located in the south eastern part of the Monday creek trail system. If you look at a map you'll know what I mean, it really looks like a maze & theres 2 main parking lots in that area, so pick the Northern most one on top of a hill. Theres a nice restroom there. The folks there said they never had any trouble w/ locals steeling there but at the north western most parking area of the entire Monday creek system, near the major roads, there has been stuff stollen. The north western parking area is where we parked because looking at the map you cant get lost since the trail in that area is just 1 line for about 9 miles 1 way & hardly any intersections to contend w/ but it is a messy parking area w/ mud everywhere & allot of locals driving around checking your out your stuff. Although we parked at both places & had no problems. If you find a better trail sytem I would love to hear about it becuase this is the best I've seen so far.
Jim

Old 04-19-2000, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jim for the information, I am sure it will be helpful. I will compare your information to the maps I downloaded. It will help plan our trip. It is a shame that you have to worry about people stealing your stuff when you are out trying to enjoy yourself, but I guess that is life.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:27 PM
jim
Pro Rider

The route is 336 then we went C-24 but C-24 is in very small letters & in large letter is something Buchtel Road from then I forget exactly where we went but thats the general area of the parking lot that you want to camp at. Good luck. By the way, what are you guys riding, sport or utility quads? Sport quads would love it but it would be a little tougher on utilities since you cant jump all the errosion bumps as well.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 04-20-2000, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Jim

I will be riding a 98 Magnum 4x4 and my wife a 00 trail boss. The place I usually ride is pretty rough and I have gotten used to man-handling the big machine in ruts and berms. I definetly will be tired though by the end of the day. Thanks for the information. It will be helpful.

Old 04-20-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Jim, did you not go to Williams campground like I suggested or am I missunderstanding your directions. This is the place to go since it is cheap, nice folks, all campers are riders, hot showers, direct trail access....etc.

Old 04-24-2000, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

EXtreme
Can you post directions to the Williams campground? Is this a privately owned campground or a part of the national forest? I would appreciate any information on this place.

Old 04-24-2000, 01:21 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Extreme, no I did not camp as you suggested. I actually stayed at the Days Inn outside of Athens but the parking area I was trying to describe had people camping in it & it didn't cost anything. I sat in the truck all day tuesady since I had dislocated my throttle thumb the day before in a wreck & waited for my friends while they rode. I could hold a can of pop much less go for another ride. There were 5 different rangers throughout the day there & they said nothing about camping there to anyone so I guess it was ok. They had a nice restroom there but no showers. The guys that drove in the HUGE mobil homes probably had showers it there. I now remember the camp area you mentioned & I drove past the trail to it but didn't venture into the camp area so I cant comment on it there. I was just trying to discourage MagnumMM against parking in the one scketchy lot. I cant wait to back again. As soon as my thumb heals I'll be back. Great trails.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 04-25-2000, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Man are there pic Berms at Wayne

i like em

Old 04-25-2000, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Take 595 south out of New Straitsville
and follow about five miles south of town...williams campground sign on
a pole...turn left onto gravel rd...take ya right to it. Usually 100% of the people there are there for the trail system. It's only a few bucks a night and well worth the stay.

Quick Reply: Wayne National Forest, Ohio