Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

We have been thinking about going to the HM trails in April and taking our eight year old, but after reading some posts and seeing what most people ride we were wondering if it is the right place to go with a youth quad. Are there any trails that a mini can go on without being beat up by rocks?

Old 03-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

stay on the green or blue trails and you should be just fine

Old 03-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been to the HM trails twice and there is NO way I would take an 8 year old there. Even the Green and blue trails would be difficult for a youth quad. The VERY rocky terrain would be to much for the little tires and minimal clearance. I dont think it would be any fun and it would be extremely dangerous for an 8 year old. Most of the trails are right on the edge of very steep hills where even a minor mistake can send you tumbling. Its an awesome place to ride, but in my opinion its not for young kids.
Also, I'm not positive but I think you need a drivers license to get a permit.

Old 03-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The easy trails sometimes have relitavely steep inclines that would be tough for the youth quad too conquer. If he is dead-set on going (guarantee he is)....tell him too follow you around rocks and obstacles and when a possibly too steep incline comes up, you can walk beside his machine too the top for him.

Old 03-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Mzsport and Garyc that is not a place where I would take a child. We've ridden several times and even the green trails are very wicked and unforgiving in some places. If you look at the map on the Rockhouse part of the H/M website there is even a quote "The main access to the trail system is a more difficult trail. The terrain is steep and rocky." That is a GREEN trail. The rangers will tell you that green DOES NOT MEAN IT IS EASY - it means that it is the easiest that trail system has. I have heard that the Waterways part of the system is more family friendly, and not as challenging as the other three. You may want to consider taking him there. If you do decide to take him to one of the others - be prepared to spot him on a LOT of steep inclines and descents. We have a blast when we go, but we leave our daughter at home, it's too much for her to take on.

Old 03-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I hear the water ways trail system is easier as well. I have'nt been there yet too give my opinion though.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have rode the h/m trail at water ways for years before it was part of the trail system. it is known as dick's creek to locals. it is greet for familey rides, hills are not as steep or as rockey as the other trails. the only thing to watch for is one comming traffic less rocks and smother trails = speed. the h/m trails in this area don't scratch the surface of the amount of riding in this area. be carefull if you go off the designated h/m trails you can get lost easy. we ride there at night along the outside edge of h/m trails .you would be surprised to see the amount of people who show up for weekend night rides. as for the other trails i have rode them all and i think it would be to rough for a youth quad. you might be ok on the trails at man (rockhouse i think) if you stay on the green trails, but i would check it out yourself first. i hope you can make the trip, you will not be disappointed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the info. I think I will look into some place else for a trip with my wife and daughter.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

QuadMXer - Didn't mean to scare you off, but I would've been P'od had someone told me it was ok for my child. The H/M system is absolutely awesome, you should definately go sometime. You ride the trails yourself and then make the decision as to whether your daughter is capable of that kind of ride. Personally - ours is definately NOT. Hubby and I LOVE riding there, it is a trip that we enjoy taking with out the off spring! We may be looking at riding at Waterways next week - we're going down for a few days, and he wants to turn the Prairie loose!

Old 03-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have rode the H/M trail system before and there is no way in hell I'd recomend taking ANY 8yr old on ANY of that trailway.There MIGHT be other area's to ride that I did'nt ride,but keep him off the H/M system if you care about his safety.

Bill G
ATV Safety Instructor

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???