Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV INSURANCE??? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV INSURANCE??? PLEASE HELP

bigmack--you may be in for a bad "surprise", thinking that your homeowner's policy will cover your ATV. I strongly recommend that you review your policy with your agent. My policy SPECIFICLY excludes ATV's from the homeowner policy coverage, even if they are used to maintain the property!
I have the quads insured with Progressive. I have used it, when I almost totalled my '02 P-650 Prairie. They paid off without a hitch! Good luck.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

I agree with quadfather. If your policy doesn't say that the atv is covered, then it isn't. I am also insured with allstate, in California. Allstate policies may be different back east, but here I need a specific "recreational vehicle" policy for atvs, dirt bikes, PWC, snowmobiles, etc. That is in addition to my homeowners policy, my auto policy, and my motorhome policy. So I have four separate polices with Allstate. Gets to be a bit pricy...

Old 01-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: I live in TX (where the homeowners insur market is terrible right now!), and my Allstate homeowner's policy recently changed in the past year or so. Don't know what the old coverage was, but now my ATV will be covered for theft/fire damage ONLY IF it is stolen/burnt while it is located at my home. However, my agent explained to me that my ATV is not covered if it is stolen/damaged while it is away from my home (i.e. damaged while out on the trails someplace or stolen from back of my pick-up).

Therefore, I ended up buying a separate ATV policy from Progressive Insurance (My Allstate agent sez Allstate won't insur quads in TX other than the limited coverage mentioned above in a homeowners policy (but I'm not sure why).

Old 01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I talked with my insurance agent... He put me on hold while he called the guy that reviews policies. He told my agent that if I used my ATV around the house to do work, (IE picking up leaves etc) It would be insured. I also asked him about travel and if it would be covered while on the road from NC where I live to WV or Tenn where I ride and he stated that it would be covered for theft, or accident regardless as long as I could prove that I used it for work around the home. I can and I have my neighbors as witnesses that I have a sweeper that I tow behind my ATV to pick up pine straw. This said, I am fully covered by my homeowners policy. In addition, I called the big insurance company that does alot of ATV insurance around the country and they do not even insure folks in NC. The only thing I can conclude is that NC has different laws than most other states in reference to ATV's and insurance.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have my Quad insured with Allstate and my insurance lady informed me that I have to get it updated every year because the bike depreciates and I am paying insurance for 6800 dollar value and unless I update it and two years down the road and it gets stolen i receive whatever the the value of the bike is then not when I paid for it. So even though I am paying the higher premium I still only receive the updated value. Of course as the value of the machine goes down the cost of the policy goes down as well. A 4 year old quad is worth about a quarter to a third of what you paid for it. After 4 years it is not worth insuring. I thought my quad was covered on my auto insurance while towing and it is not, only the trailer is as it is attached to the truck and the wheeler sits on the trailer. I had a friend whose boat came off the trailer while towing and the insurance company did not pay for the boat. Amazing what you think and what is reality, always go over your policies with your agent once year and in person, this way they can sign it and if anything should happen and they say it is not covered the signature and date act as proof when they deny something was ever said.AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Don't listen to people that say your homeowners will cover it....Nope only if it's tax exempt and a farm vehicle no sport Quads about 80% of the states are fine printed so double check with your local insurance don't be caught with your pants down. In Ohio it ran about an extra $60 a year I got it for stolen only 500 ded.. Allstae I know will insure it but are a little pricey they are about the same price as it would be for a car....I got them and asked, Now Progressive it really nicely priced you can even get it over the net!

Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't mean to argue but my agent talked with the underwriter and he was the one that informed us that my homeowners policy in NC would cover my utility atv, and I live in a subdivision. Progressive Insurance will not cover a 4 wheeler in NC. I called and that is what I was told by their agent on the phone.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Progressive is a JOKE! they wanted 500 bux a year to insure one quad in New Orleans. I called that ATVLinE (merkel) and they wanted 326 for TWO quads. Thats comp and collision. I need to get a price on just COMP still.

I also need to call my allstate agent and see what it would cost to line item my quads into my renters insurance.

As for the value of quads depreciating and being "worthless" after four years, thats BS. You go ahead and pay on your bike for 5 years and have it get stolen the day you finish paying it off and Im going to ask you if you still think your bike is "worthless". These bikes stabilize and you cant go off of what the insurance co thinks your bike is worth, but what the "Black Book" value is. Black Book is a combination of Blue Book dealer value and ACTUAL MARKET price for your area.

Banshees tend to be more expensive on the west coast thanks to all the dune riders, where-as 4x4 quads tend to be more expensive around heavy hunting communities.

I havnt seen the full paperwork on an atv policy, but I would personally make sure I had "replacement" coverage. Meaning regardless of its value, they have to REPLACE the bike with a similiar or better atv should mine get stolen, regardless of age/value.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Whats perceived and what is actual is what you get. I hope I never have to find out. What ever the value is, you know you are going to do some leg work to get he maxium amount for the replacement. I know when I had a problem with my roof several years ago{ fell in from snow} the insurance company said and offered me a check for 1200.00 and even offered to print it right then and there, after fighting with them for a month, meanwhile I fixed the roof myself for 2000{ cost of lumber} I wrote up a bill for 35000 and submitted it after several phone calls one involving the mention of my lawyer coming down to talk them I was offered a check for just over 20000 and with the first check they gave me it added up to 22000 dollars. Not bad a profit margin you might say and a whole lot cheaper then the company that was working on it the begining, that is until the insurance company said they were not going to cover it, that company gave Allstate a estimate for over 50 grand I thought my adjuster was going to drop dead on the spot. So yes, even something does happen to your quad you can almost count on the insurance company to try to weasel out what its worth. But it never hurts to go over your insurance yearly, after all as they say on the commercial "I don't want to pay to much". AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

FYI, I just got the bill for my Cat this week and State Farm jacked up the rates on me to 180 per year. After I had insured my DS last fall they sent me another bill and wanted a total of 230 for a year. I haven't gotten the new bill for the Raptor yet. I may shop for another company.

They take your money and try to screw you when you make a claim.

Quick Reply: ATV INSURANCE??? PLEASE HELP