Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New Riding Area in South East Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Riding Area in South East Wisconsin?

My group has been going riding at this old retired county gravel pit for the last 10 years or so. Other locals might have been riding there longer, but I found out about it around 1992. I'm really bad at estimating...but it's probably about 50-75 acres. Lots of elevation changes...lots of hill climbs, lots of woods. Not so big that you would get lost...but definately better than the other ride spots within an hour drive or so. Our riding was always done on the sneak since obviously nobody knew who was in control of the property.
So about two weeks ago we headed out there to ride around, and this guy stops us to see what we're up to. Turns out it's the new owner of the land. He bought the land about a year ago, because it borders his trucking business land. He was very nice, he was even on a couple quads with his kids. He said he is very open to the idea of opening the land to riding, but wants to cover his assets. I'm going to work with him as much as I can to make this a reality.
The new Dirt Wheels(June) just came yesterday, and I'm going to photocopy the article on how to open your own OHV park for him. I will be sure to keep everybody posted if anything comes of all this. Perhaps volunteers in the area could help out with necessary preparation. I want to make sure this guy doesn't have to go out of his way to make this happen. Obviously, if he takes to the article, and works with me...then I'll be talking to the WATVA, the AATVA, the NOHVCC, etc. Any other suggestions for getting the initial ball rolling!?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

Keep me informed iam from burlington and interested in helping. Where abouts is this pit?

Old 04-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Silver Lake, near Hwy 50

Old 04-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I think i know the one your talking about. Is it off of county B? I thought Breesy hill landscape co owned that now.

Old 04-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good work. I'd love to have another nearby place to ride. Let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

In the meantime, before he gets it up and running in the big way you have described he can have people sign waivers and possibly collect "donations". It would at least be a good litmus test to him, so that he can decide if he wants to deal with it in that manner. I can get you an example waiver form.

dmisek1@excite.com

Old 04-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thats great ! I have a buddy doing the same thing in Harvard area to make a motorcross park with multiple tracks , and espically one track for the kids with the 50's. He has already contacted the lawyers and so far its a GO ! The land will be leased to a INC. that will be started so my buddy cant personally be SUED ! Since the land is leased it can't be taken away from the owner either ! Talk to this guy and p.m. me if he wants more info. My buddy talked with sponsors and will try to make it bigger each year if possible , but I don't think he will be getting Government offices involved because of the B/S it creates ! The guy should try to do it like the BADDLANDS in Indiana ****keep it private so he can keep out the troubble makers******. Also we are going to be starting a riding club with organized rides verry soon for the area riders , actually we are going to the Baddlands this sunday. If anyone is interested in going I think we have close to 15 people going . I will give the meeting place and times later if anyone's interested .Ben

Old 05-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

Yes, it's off Hwy B. I also thought the Nursery owned it...but I guess I was wrong. I will be sure to keep everybody posted as to the status of this situation.