Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend

It appears that the Forest Supervisor, Mr Zinsmaster, has closed all the trails that are to be the BEST part of the Iron County ATV trail system.

So you all know, if any of you that have plans or know anyone that are tempting on going to Iron County , Wis. this hoiday weekend think twice. If you think your gonna have the same kind of fun, THINK AGAIN.

Unless you enjoy on just riding on gravel roads and railways. Then thats fine. But, remember you won't be able to get to those beautiful water falls and scenic areas that you just love to see by riding your ATV there, You my as well save you some trouble and LEAVE your Quad home and just drive your car.

So, Mr Zinsmaster incase you do see these posts I just wanted you to know that WE, The Out of the Area Riders, would love to to spend our vacations and holiday in the IRON County, Wis.

Mac The Red Rhino

Old 05-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Are these permanent closings. I make it a point to take one week of vacation a year and ride in Hurley. If these are permanent closings Hurley can kiss my money good-bye

Steve

Old 05-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I was told they will be opening up on May 15th. We are going to the atv fest over memorial weekend . I will have to call them tomorrow .

Old 05-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Mac, you got my blood presure so fired up that I had to call Mr Zinsmaster today. He put my fears to rest about closing the best trails. He said they will be opening them all up. BUT, he also said trail 6 is going to go through an extensive regrading, incuding drainingg water and smoothing out the trail. He said that there are expecting some Federal funding, $10,000 a mile on this trail. They will start very soon and start at both ends. By the end of the conversation I was completly upset. The best trail in the State and they're are going to screw it up and make a kiddie trail out of it. I hope it lasts until I get up there this summer but it didn't souind like it.

Steve

Old 05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

I'am glad some of you are calling him and getting the scoop. I hope Zinsmaster holds true to his word.

Hope everyone has a great ride on Memorial Day.

I will be riding there too with the HO TRAIN GANG, Floodrunner, Oden, Jiggen Jack and myself

The Red Rhino

Old 05-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

BS!! Thats all BS!! I live up here the trails are open just went riding yesterday! memorial day weekend is on. The only problem is lack of volunteer's for the memorial day weekend. everyone wants to ride, can't blame them the trails are awesome and 100% open.

Old 05-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I live in Hurley & am in the industry, and I can tell you - The trails were closed down for spring thaw & maintenance. There was never any talk of permanant closings. Trails are NOT 100% open yet. However - this from a fax I received from the forestry dept. dated 4/30/03:
"As of this time, corridor 51, corridor 2 (from Hoyt Rd., west) Routes in the Towns of Anderson, Carey, Gurney, Kimball, Knight (ATV only), Mercer and Oma are open for ATV use. Towns not mentioned did not respond with their route status. Plaease be aware of soft conditions and possible wash-outs under repair by the towns. All other trails and routes are considered closed. Ride with caution."
NOW-I would do some checking today on the status of many trails because we have major flooding going on right now. Bridges & roads are closed all over. So that status may have changed overnight.

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Nutz , can you keep us posted ? l think I'm going to cancel and go to the east side , if things don't clear up before this comming up weekend . Thanks

Old 05-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Mac:
Just drove a little south of the area on Saturday. It is almost the same as last year with the flooding but not as bad. I am sure there will be wash outs like last year. I am ready to ride. With Zinmasters blessing, or with out it.
I am sure that many people complained about trail six. To rough, to muddy, to wet, to rocky, to many trees and so forth. It is to bad we will be losing a nice trail but on the other hand, I am happy to see that funding is available for trail develpment. Come to the Upper Peninsula and see what we get.
The Iron Range Riders (Ho Train) will once again be in attendance. We will have fun and look forward to seeing you folks that we only get to see at this time of year.
Hope everyone has a safe and fun ride!!

JigginJack
2002 Polaris Sportsman HO-X
Aluminum cargo box
2500 warn winch
hand warmers
itp c series rims
much more
microwave oven
coffee pot-electric perk
charter member of The Iron Range Riders and the "HO" Train

Old 05-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

I rode up by Hurley this summer in Iron County, that was the best riding of my life, if they screw that up i'll be tiscked, i want to go back.

Quick Reply: Hurley Rally over Memorial Weekend