Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy - Where to stay? Specifically Buffalo Mtn. Trails

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy - Where to stay?

Hello everyone!

Getting ready to go to Hatfield McCoy next month. We are looking to ride the Buffalo Mtn. trail system and are looking for a good place to stay.

We want to be able to ride to the trailhead and not have to transport. I haven't found much near Williamson. Anybody have some info or good tips? Don't want to get to our basecamp & find out that "You can't get there from here".

Thanks,

--- EDIT --- I just saw Linda A's thread. Sorry to duplicate, but we are specifically looking for something near The Buffalo Mtn. system. That 7 or 9 switchback thing is too enticing to pass up.

Flash
97 Foreman [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy - Where to stay? Specifically Buffalo Mtn. Trails

Check out the Sycamore Inn in Williamson and the Delbarton Inn (?) in Delbarton.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

There is supposed to be a new B&B in Matewan - and there is the lock up. Get ahold of Todd N. at wvtrailguides.org - he knows how to get ahold of the people who run them. If they delete the address (which they may) pm me and I will give you info.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to take so long to reply, been out of town & have a 2 1/2 yr old & a 2 week old. Whew!

blackballed

Thanks for the info. Both of them were booked the weekend we're going. We ended up changing trails to Rockhouse. We're staying at the Rockhouse Lodge in Man.

Quadcrew,

Same goes, thanks alot. The group I'm taking isn't really a B&B crowd, though. I'll keep them in mind if I take the wife next time, she'd like that. I spoke with Raymond at wvtrailguides.org. He couldn't help much with that weekend either, a festival or something is going on in Matewan that weekend. We are renting two quads from them though. I noticed from another thread that you're going the same weekend as us, let's hope for good weather. We haven't had a dry day in Virginia for what seems a couple of weeks now (temps in the 50's doesn't help either).

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Flash

Old 05-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

Foreman - we talked to the guy who owns the B&B in Matewan. We're staying there. All the guys from Outback ATV are great. (Raymond, Jeff and Todd) They're GREAT trailguides. (we've ridden lots of off-system trails with them) Rockhouse is a blast, it has everything. Ride from Man over to Gilbert - get lunch and gas in Gilbert then ride back to Man. It'll take most of the day to do that - by the time you check out some of the side trails. There was a BIG slide on #10 when we were down, it may be open now though. Check with the Ranger at the trailhead before heading out. We'll be on Buffalo Mtn. that weekend. It's about an hour to get over to Man from Matewan, so we probably won't be meeting up on the trails! (unless they get the connector open!!) Have fun- I know we will! (Mrs. Q)

Old 05-19-2003, 06:13 PM
THH
Weekend Warrior

Went to Hatfield McCoy last September. Stayed at Almost Heaven Rentals in the town of Man. Its a duplex right in Man. Go to website <u>Almost Heaven Rentals</u>

Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys,
I live just a couple minutes from Buffalo trailhead. I'll give you guys some numbers and you can call them for best pricing. I won't list anything that isn't an adequate facility. These are respectable and good location.

Super 8 motel - 606-237-5898
Sycamore Inn - 304-235-3656

Super 8 is in a good location as is Sycamore, but the Super 8 is probably more cost efficient and has much more parking and lighting than the Sycamore. We all know how important these things are. Both are within 5 miles of the head.

Jason

Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Jason,

The Sycamore was fully booked that weekend. We decided to move over to Man because of the festival in Matewan. We're not much into crowds. Also, we're bringin 3 quads & renting 2, so we wouldn't have enough trailering capacity without running back & forth. Now we can ride direct to the trailhead.

A BIG THANKYOU to everybody. You've all been very helpful. Now that the hard part is over, it's time for the fun. I can't wait.

Flash

Old 05-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

Jason - Can you ride your quads from Super 8 or the Sycamore to the trails?? I was under the impression that you had to trailer to the trailhead from those places. It'd be great if that wasn't the case. That is a lot of the appeal of H/M - NOT having to trailer everywhere. It is awesome to just unload and ride the whole time we are there. (Mrs. Q)

Old 05-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Quad,
No you can't ride directly into the trailhead from the motel. However, it is a very short driving distance. Probably less than 5 miles.