Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Why Buy A Rhino? I'm torn and need help! PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Buy A Rhino? I'm torn and need help! PLEASE!

We've had our Rhino 660 for over a year. Sold a 400 Arctic Cat because it was underpowered. I don't have any power issues with it at all. We did the same thing you're looking at doing ... replaced a golf cart and an ATV. I use it when I cut brush around the property and pull a 5x8 trailer for the brush and put the chain saws in the Rhino. In the winter we use it for plowing snow. Originally bought the Arctic Cat for plowing snow in the winter so my son fabricated some mounts to move the plow over to the Rhino. Works great and believe it or not it is a lot easier to plow snow with the Rhino than the AC.

If you like the flat seat of a golf cart then you might want to consider a Polaris Ranger. A friend of mine has one and can get the wife and a kid on there with him. Its just a bit wider than a Rhino but sure has a nice seat.

One of the guys mentioned that the upgrade to a 660 is cheaper now. He's right.

I don't like is the raspiness of the motor...vibrates like crazy. Also hard to start in the winter unless you make a minor carb mod.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dino1000
Anyone have a Rhino and feel it's under powered?</end quote></div>

Yes.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

DesertViper,

How do you ride your Rhino? I get the idea from your screen name you are a desert rider. I don't plan on doing any desert riding.

How underpowered do you think the Rhino is?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think my Rhino could very easily handle twice as much power as it has, and that it would be a lot more fun that way. I do ride my Rhino in the desert, and in the dunes, two places where it could use a lot more power. The power to weight ratio for the Rhino is way down compared to a similar utility quad, not to mention a sport quad. The Kawi Teryx (sp?) could have considerably more power than the Rhino if Kawi didn't detune the engine. The Polaris is going to break all the time. So that doesn't leave you too much of an option if you want a side x side. Yamaha isn't going to come out with a more powerful Rhino (except for the slightly more powerful Grizzly 700 motor) because they just lost a huge class action lawsuit on the Rhino. Why should they build it with more power, so more people can sew them?

[Edit] Arctic Cat may be the one light on the horizon for side x sides. If Arctic Cat puts their 950 v-twin from the Thunder Cat in their Prowler, then we would be getting somewhere. I like my Rhino, but I would switch to a Prowler in a heart beat if it came with a 950 v-twin in it. Consider that a stock 660 Rhino makes 23 HP at the rear wheels, and that the 950 Cat makes something like 72 HP (not sure where they measure it though). I would still expect it to be at least a few years before Arctic Cat puts the 950 in a Prowler though. I bet they let the ATVs do the betta testing first.

DV

Old 08-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

Wow DV,

I looked at your pictures. Looks like you've done quite the MOD's to your Rhino. I'll be using mine mostly for intermediate trail riding and work around the house/land. I don't think I will need all the power you do. Hopefully, this machine will take care of my needs adequately.

As long as the Rhino can handle a muddy trail (not too tight and nothing that my Polaris Scrambler couldn't handle) and can pull a boat, carry some tools, etc.. I think it will be the machine for me.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

yeah dv's photos are awesome, and so are yours especailly the lifted golfcart

Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Crusher - As a volunteer firefighter I use the golf cart for fire department fund raisers, parades, etc. It's a lot of fun and the kids love it! I'm going to get the Red Rhino, re-wheel and tire and add some emergency lights to use just like the golf cart. It will be the official Fire Department Rhino! Should be a fun project!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

sweet

Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

The RZR is not geared high, so will pull anything you need. In fact it has a 1500 lb towing. Plus it will also take care of your speed as this will go 55mph stock.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Both the Rhino and the RZR have their + and -, I own a Rhino and chose it over the RZR for a number of reasons one being room the seats in the RZR are a little close. I am in the process of turning my Rhino into a 4 seater not possible with the RZR...On the other hand the RZR is alot more stable and faster I have been around a couple of them this weekend and they are a way cool machine it just depends on what you expectations are. Both dune fairly well and long travel kits are available for both giving them a wider stance along with a better ride. What ever you choose make it safer before you make it faster!!

Quick Reply: Why Buy A Rhino? I'm torn and need help! PLEASE!