Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

HELP I HAVE A NEW RHINO 07 AND ITS BROKE ALREADY

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP I HAVE A NEW RHINO 07 AND ITS BROKE ALREADY

Help me please. I have a brand new 2007 rhino 450, and it has power but no speed. I took it in really deep water and it died but no water got into the air intake and it started right up after i got pulled out but the fastest it would go is 6 mph. and when i push the gas pedal down it revs up real high but no speed. every thing else works real good. just no speed.

If you know anything about why its doing it, please let me know.

Old 05-07-2008 | 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the centrifical clutches.. As I don't go through water, I haven't had that issue. See if there's a drain plug on the clutch cover. The cover is Black and it's on the driver side or left sife of the engine. If so try that.. You said it runs so I'd guess the engine is okay... I'd still probably change the oil in the engine to see make sure that no water got in.. Since it's new (2007) don't you have a warranty ?IE: take it to the dealer... ?

Rude Dog

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

keithnme2003, If no water got in the air intake then why did it die. Immediately check your oil dip stick and make sure your oil looks like oil and not a milky creamy concoction. If your oil is fine then you ingested water into the cvt intake and your belt is spinning through a puddle of water. Check for a drain plug, and if you have one, remove it and drain water, while plug is out start machine and keep it in park or neutral, and let the belt spin dry. But if it was me , I would remove the side cover and do a complete cleaning. If you go to the dealer for a water submersion repair,you will be charged

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

couldnt tell you why it died. and there was no water in the oil. I did drain the water out of it with the plug, had alot of water in it. dried the belt out, but still no better. it is under warranty but you know as well as i its not going to be covered. made 1 payment on it and i still have no clue what to fix.

Old 05-07-2008 | 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

Chances are that your belt may be glazed over or your clutches grooved from trying to accelerate with a wet clutch. don't forget that the water is full of dirt and debris. pull the cover and take a look. Can the Rhino go into limp mode

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Your primary clutch sheave is full of crud, so the roller weights cannot roll in the channels they are designed to roll in, and the primary clutch wont shift out any more. You need to remove the belt cover, then the aluminum support housing around the primary clutch. Thread a 6mm bolt into one of the threaded holes near the center of the secondary pulley, and that will spread the secondary pulley and release tension on the belt. Then either use a clutch holding tool to keep the clutch from turning when you remove the primary pulley, or use an air impact wrench to remove the center nut that holds the primary pulley on. Remove the primary pulley and take it over to the work bench in your garage. Remove the phillips head screws that hold the cover on, then remove the cover (it is a tight fit). Be careful not to damage the o-ring underneath the cover. Inside that cover you will see the roller weights, and the mud and crud that is in there with them, preventing them from moving. You are going to have to thoroughly clean out that sheave and the roller weights, then re-grease everything and put it back together. I'll bet you belt is fine, but check for any flat spots that may have resulted from your endless revving of the engine trying to get your Rhino to move. The belt is under constant tension with a Yamaha CVT though, so it is probably fine. It should take about an hour to do the job. Have fun, and stay out of the water if you don't have snorkels. Have a good one.

DV

Old 05-09-2008 | 12:28 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, I will take a look at it and see what I can do. I really apreciate all the help. This is the 1st water hole that my rhino has seen. besides the snorkels is there anything I can do to keep that crud out?

Old 05-09-2008 | 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Not really. I'm assuming your Rhino CVT transmission is still stock and that you have not had the cover off prior to this happening. If you have had it apart before it is possible that the gasket did not get lined up properly when the cover was reinstalled, and water got into the transmission at a water depth lower than the OEM snorkel height.

Don't take it to the dealer to have them fix it. It wont be covered under warranty, and if your dealer is like mine, they charge $90 an hour for some kid that doesn't know what he is doing to work on your Rhino. Might just as well take it apart yourself, clean it out, and get a better idea of how things work in there. It isn't difficult, just a bit tedious and time consuming.

DV

Old 05-11-2008 | 11:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks DV. I appreciate the help. my and my father-in-law will rip it apart and give it a whirl