Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Another Winch Cable Thread - Options Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Winch Cable Thread - Options Please!!

Well, to put bluntly. My winch eats cable faster than I can eat pizza! I use it to plow snow & no other uses as of yet. I am constanly repairing & spend more time doing that than plowing. I am currently lucky to get through 1 or 2 snowfalls prior to repairing. Is it the angle of the cable from the fairlead that is the problem? I presume this is the hardest thing on wire winch cable. It is really strong pulling straight out but not sure meant to constantly pull at an angle. Is it too much of an angle & hard on the cable? or Is my plow tube hitting the fram causing tension & snapping? The cable is breaking only 3-6 inches from the hook well prior to the fairlead. Basically, what are my options for a more reliable cable or rope. Thought about going larger but cable won't fit into the drum & now seriosly thinking to go to synthetic rope. Will synthetic be the answer to my ongoing problem? Any recommendations or ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards.
2008 pizza eating champion!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Range Rover

i have ordered the 1/2 inch rope 8' long desighned for plowing only......i also am giving thought to this roller from a boat trailer that alot of threads seem to be decribing

hope that helps

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

synthetic rope would help, there is also a plow roller fairlead available from warn that has a much larger bottom roller.... you should be able to get them online or from any powersports parts dealer

Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I built a mast that fits in my front receiver. It extends above my hood, so it is visible from the drivers seat. This upright square tube has a mounting surface. I bought a small 12 volt winch from Harbor Freight (rated @ 2000#) and mounted it . This 39 dollar winch has a pendant control for up and down. Use a tie-rap or tape for a tell-tale on the cable that was shortened. Now you has a visable marker that lets you know the position of the plow. When you see the tie-rap, stop lifting. Also, while plowing I rarely lift my plow all the way up, there is no need to.
07 SE Rhino