Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Old question about a Rhino-quietness

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old question about a Rhino-quietness

Hello Pwillie....I work for a sporting lodge as a guide and handyman....the owner has a 660 rhino....it makes so much noise it gives me a headache....it is a few years old and only has about 300 miles on it...it is only used on the campground to haul laundry and cleanup....I know...what a waster...lol...anyways...I told the dealer it was a piece of junk and he showed me where the squeaks where...the one by the bed is the bed/dump trips..take the rod out and mount rubber bushings/grommets then insert the rod back...anyways...the muffler shield also stikes the bed...??? file the corner that hits some and tighten it down stiff ....some of the bed rattle stopped when I over loaded it with heavy crush rock..like it seated it in...and the brake/front wheel thing I still have not overcome...i have greased all points....dealer says it needs to be broke in...geessh...anyways....the shifter would not shift at times..the rod would comes loose on the linkage and I took off bolt/nut and drilled a permament hole with a pin...it has not messed up since...some of the rattle comes from there as well...but the differentials are noisy too....I personally think they are comfortable and have power but not very relaxing to drive with all the clanking and gear noise and brake squeal.....well let me know how you make out or any thing new you find out....I personally just brought a 650 v twin brute force and it is pretty tight and quiet....well happy trails

Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Main Guide: I moved the breather up front under the hood,and have applied body spray like rhino sheild,but the noise still is bad(Kolpin muffleer also) You can get a kit on ebay for the breather removal and placement,easy to do. I will keep you posted on the noise machine.Triple R, I hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I agree the rhinos are way to noisy. Most of ours comes from the trailer hitch whenit is in. I need to do the bed clasps and exhaust yet. I think we will only be able to do so much. We also like to use ours durring hunting but it si to noisy the way it is. If I find anything else to add I will post it.

pwillie, did you think the Koplin exhaust add on was worth it?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

The Kolpin is OK,but I would do something different,its cheap @ Cabelas...89.00 bucks.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

As to the squeaking brakes, they drive me crazy. Only my fronts squeak (I just replaced my rear pads a couple of weeks ago). And they only do it when I back up (or maybe sometimes when I creep slowly forward).

Anyway, I bought a couple of stop squeal products at the parts store. One product is a gooey stuff that went on the back of the pads and one looked kinda like silver spray paint that you spray on the rotor. I took the fronts off, cleaned them and applied both products. I put it back together on - no squeak. It was really nice riding around and backing up with no squeak.

Then I did some light mudding. The squeal returned. I may buy some of the pads from hunterworks.com . I think they are supposed to be quieter. Also, someone told me that occassionally spraying them with remington gun oil with teflon will stop the squeal without loosing much braking - dunno about that.

Other than that, mines not unreasonablly loud. The intake's location makes it seem louder than it is. Step away and observe someone else drive and it doesn't seem loud at all. Oh, I did wrap some black elect tape around the tabs where the bed latches to dampen any noise from that area.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

I am thinking about moving the air horn up above the cabin,has anyone else done this?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

Hunting season is just about over,and I will be sound proofing the Rhino,stay tuned,pwillie