Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Huge Rhino Recall....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed.....if people used their heads when they drove, and a little common sense, there wouldn't even be any lawsuits right now.....

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

So in attempt to bring this topic back to life.. In everybody's opinion should people take their rhino's in for the sway bar removal and spacer installs? Or leave them as they are?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering the same thing? I don't own one, but see a lot of them.

I think these things are like anything else. I am sure I could roll my 01 Foreman if I tried hard enough, and that thing is as stable as they come. It almost always on the operator. Stuff like this always gets me going.

Is it really that hard to say, "My fault"?????

Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If I had one I'd probably bring it in. Safety is paramount in my, not so young, mind. I think ReconRanger got it right when he was talking about the new Honda UTV. It is wide which would make for a very stable ride. I think the Polaris Ranger is also wider than a Rhino, perhaps for the same reason. I think if you want sport riding but not so much utility the best to get is the Polaris Ranger RZR. I was whipping up a rocky section of trail behind one and he was keeping up with all the quads in the group including a couple sport quads. He never looked like he was tipping. I'd like to see them lower the engines a bit and go wider.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

I had the chance to spend an entire day in a Rhino with the new repair specs, and for anyone worried about how it will change the handling of their Rhino, don't worry. I honestly couldn't really feel a difference - that Rhino still kicked a$$ on the high speed stuff, the super technical, rockcrawling type of terrain, and the rocky, twisty trails we were on. I think with the free helmet incentive, it's pretty obvious that Yamaha would like to have their customers have the repairs done - if mine wasn't a full-blown race Rhino, I'd take it in.....

Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I finally stopped by the local dealer and asked about the recall... I was put on a list of about 30 people waiting for the wheel spacers. Now I'm not the quickest guy on the uptake sometimes but you would think Yamaha could manage to get something like WHEEL SPACERS out to dealers pretty quickly.

I just don't understand why there's such a waiting list. Were the dealers told they couldn't sell new inventory without the upgrade? If so are they putting all the wheel spacers on their new models so they can sell? Which yes I know that makes sense for the dealers, but from a Yamaha stand point (especially with the lawsuits) it looks like they would want to push dealers to cover these people that are on the waiting lists.

I also want to mention that I own a 08 700 and fully agree with the fact that Rhino's are NOT easy to roll over. I also feel that Yamaha is taking the initiative to help the... er... not so experienced riders and the helmet incentive is a nice bonus, but again you think they would push getting these people on waiting lists taken care of.

I can just see another lawsuit with someone saying… “I was on level ground just putting along when my Rhino just tipped over. I’m fairly sure that a frog hopped up and hit the skid plate on the passenger side and just knocked the machine right over. Yup… Yamaha knows their machine ain’t safe cause I’ve been on a waiting list for wheel spacers over a month now.”

- Mike

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 450grl
- if mine wasn't a full-blown race Rhino, I'd take it in.....
I'd like to see pics of yours. Is it set up for short course, desert, or XC?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Mike, I do believe all new units must be sold with the spacers, etc on them already - I am pretty sure that is why, at times, those parts are scarce. I can't imagine how many units that is, total, that they have to be installed on.......

Stoopidbot - here is a pic of my baby!

Attached Thumbnails Huge Rhino Recall....-img_3493.jpg  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not what I would expect from somebody defending stock Rhinos. Nice ride.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if they were like that stock?

Very nice Rhino.

Quick Reply: Huge Rhino Recall....