Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Huge Rhino Recall....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huge Rhino Recall....

Sorry if you guys have seen this already, but it is dated today and I didn't see a post on the board during a quick check.....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09172.html

Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to point out is that this is NOT a recall - it's a voluntary action by Yamaha and in cooperation with the CPSC.....not nitpicking, just making sure it's clear that Yamaha has been working hand in hand with the CPSC on these issues......

It's too bad that the irresponsibility of a few is now affecting all of us......

Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It seems like most of the issues are user related from what I've read. But, on the other hand it talks about low speed flat trail turns. IF that is true, there may be something to it.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Recalls to me are a problem if the ATV will run or not ,not if it will stay rightside up or not. I used to fly through the twisty trail faster on my old 3 wheeler than I could on my 4 wheeler and the 3 heeler are outlawed now.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

yamaha does not call it a recall.............it is a voluntary repair program......they want to add spacers and remove the rear swaybar.................duh .........isnt the swaybar supposed to make them more stable...........

Old 04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
It seems like most of the issues are user related from what I've read. But, on the other hand it talks about low speed flat trail turns. IF that is true, there may be something to it.
I have never even come close to tipping my Rhino in ANY lowspeed, flat trail situation.....kind of hard to do, actually. What I suspect is happening is rather than admit that they turned too sharply, or were at fault in any way, it's easier to just say "I wasn't doing ANYthing, I swear! It just flipped over!"......

For example. John Sand has been saying on every forum possible that the Rhino accident that took his daughter's life was something that occured on flat ground, very low speed and no sharp turns.....been saying this for almost a year now.

Well....according to THIS article, that wasn't the case....it came out in court that the driver was horsing around and it was his actions that caused the accident.

"2/7/2008 8:11:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Midland man gets three months jail time

NEWS JOURNAL STAFF REPORT

A Midland man was sentenced Tuesday in a Warren County court, bringing an end to a case that started when an 10-year-old girl lost her life.

Nils McElroy, 21, who previously pleaded to a misdemeanor charge of vehicular homicide, was sentenced Tuesday to 90 days in jail, ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and serve five years probation, according to court records.

McElroy was indicted Dec. 14 by a Warren County grand jury. He was found responsible for causing the death of Ellie Sand by way of negligence in operating a Yahama Rhino, an off-road vehicle. He was arraigned Jan. 3.

In late October, McElroy was at the home of Rob Osterhues, a friend who lives at 380 Ward Koebel Road in Oregonia. Most of the people at the social gathering, said Warren County Prosecutor Rachel Hutzel, were members of the same church. Part of the fun that day revolved around a Yamaha Rhino owned by Osterhues.

According to Warren County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Bruce McGary, McElroy drove the Rhino while taking others for rides. McGary said McElroy was engaging in general horseplay, which caused the Rhino to roll over.

Ellie Sand sustained fatal injuries during the rollover and died soon after the accident. She was the daughter of Tammy and John Sand of Lebanon.

The misdemeanor charge of vehicular homicide carries a maximum of six months in jail.

McElroy has a review hearing for costs and fines June 9 in front of Judge Jacqueline Handorf. He is represented by a public defender, attorney William R. Kaufman."

I'm pretty sure that most people who roll a Rhino and then attempt to sue are NOT going to state what actually happened......because then it would be too obvious that these accidents were caused by DRIVER imput. And most drivers don't have the money that Yamaha has.......

Just my .02.

"

Last edited by 450grl; 04-01-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me started on John Sand...

Rhinos are not unsafe, the people driving them are unsafe.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Just remember,the nut that holds the steering wheel is the most important part of any vehicle.When you lose some one close and dear,money seems to take away the blame.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha has been building narrow tippy 4-wheelers for years and years. They are starting to catch on though, and the new Grizzly 550 and 700 have better center of gravity stats than previous models; the Raptor 700 has better center of gravity stats than the Raptor 660, ... etc. I don't know why they have always had their narrow tall mind set with their ATVs, but it is good to see them changing their tune. I've owned two Rhino's, and they can certainly be improved upon. They are a very crude and unrefined vehicle, for their cost. I never had problems with rollovers with either Rhino, but was so unimpressed overall that I no longer own one.

As for the Rhino recall, ... we have too many personal injury lawyers in this country. Our entire legal system is a sham, designed to make money for lawyers. Don't even get me started on that one. Have a nice day.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm .. I totally see and agree with Wheel spacers to widen it, but also wonder about why they would disconnect the sway bar? My guess would be it's too restrictive. That you only get so much leans & then the weight shifts dramaticly and it topples over. Last trip in Dec 08 to Glamis I snapped my left side sway bar link off (mounts sway bar to lower a-arm). I wonder if the link or end is too short so as not enough sway is obtainable. Personnally I 'd like to see an adjustable one made available. In the sand I never have issues with tippiness, but doing fast quick turns on hard packed dirt (my property) I have 2 wheeled it a couple times, and so no longer do fast turns... In the hands of a "rookie operator", I can see how this could be an issue...

Quick Reply: Huge Rhino Recall....