Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor high center of gravity ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor high center of gravity ?

I was think about getting a raptor and i heard that they are tipsy and roll over easy when going fast and corning. What can i do to improve this ???

Old 05-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hang like a mother, just kidding i bumped up my air pressure all around and that helped a lot , but aftermarket a-arms and axles or spacers help too.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All I did was lower the rear shock adjustment and that made a world of difference. I dont have that problem anymore. Actually it rides just like the Z now.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

you can buy a lowering kit, i have one but do not have it on there. i do have wheel spacers and a durablue axle. it seems to work ok for me.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you do that?

Old 05-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Raptorx44 - I just loosened up the adjustment at the top of the shock almost to the top, I would say I still have about a 1/4 of an inch left to loosen, it rides alot smoother and feels much safer!! I didnt believe it myself until my buddy let me ride his.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:01 PM

how does that affect your wheeling? I would think that a softer rear shock would just give instead of going into a wheelie. Would like to do that but don't really want to take away from my wheeling,

Patrick

Old 05-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know if youve ever ridden a raptor or what quad your comin from but i came from a warrior and i was planning to be leaning all the way off the raptor just to keep it from flippin. Not the case. Now, is it as stable as my friends predator...no. But hes lazy and sits on the seat so the predator make up 100% of the stability. On the raptor, you gotta use a little body english, but its not as bad as people make it. I stiffened the fronts up all the way and that made it much more stable. I also tightened the rear a little. It helped. overall, it slid outta corners instead of tipped. I cant wait til i get razr's this summer...only downside is itll be hard to do my signature bicycle trick.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man, thats what I like to do is wheelies!! It didnt change anything about that as far as I can tell cuz I can still wheelie great. Now I just extended my swingarm by 4.5 inches and havent rode it yet but my buddy has the same extension and he still wheelies but said it was not hard but not as easy without the extension. I will see this next weekend.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

tippiness,what tippiness? get after market tires ,that made a world of diffrence to me..

Quick Reply: raptor high center of gravity ?