Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Black plastic owners how does it hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black plastic owners how does it hold up?

If i get a shee i like the black alba tribal kit. but i am a little concerned in how the black plastic holds up. How bad does it get scratched up. I assume the blue would be a little better for scratching but i like the black looks better....thanks

Old 05-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hello. I have a black Kodiak. I does show scratches pretty bad. Because its so shiney it is just like a black car. I love the color, but because its a utility atv it see's a lot of tight triails and gets a lot of branches rubbed against it. Maybe with the shee it would be easier to keep scratch free being more a track atv.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

My neighbor has a 2003 Black/Red Banshee. The plastic shows scratches as bad as my Black Raptor. If you are going to try to keep it shiny, don't get Black. I scuffed all my plastic with a 600 grit sanding pad and then put turtle wax on it. It's not as glossy as new but has sort of a satin Black finish that can be touched up real easy to fix scratches. White is probably the best color to hide scratches.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

White is probably the best color to hide scratches.
NO, negative, not even close! My white plastic looks like $h!T compared to the front black plastic. When the white gets scratched it leaves a color, kinda like a stain, behind. Its not in the plastic more of whatever scratched it.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ward - try orange Power Paste from Wally world. My sons have dirt bikes with white plastic and we live around a lot of orange clay. If they dump their bike, it will have a "stain" in the plastic that even a pressure washer won't touch. Scrub the paste into the plastic, have a smoke, and rinse away the stain. I've also heard that Clorox Clean-Up will take away the stains in white plastic. Besides, we were talking about scratches showing, not dirt in the scratches:-)

Old 05-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I will have to give that a try, THANKS. Power paste, what section? Is it an aotumotive product or what? I ahve tried EVERYTHING else to get it out, short of sanding it down.

I know we are talking scratches but honestly my front don't show near as bad as my rears do. It might be because my rears get alot more from boots and what not.???

Thanks again for the tip![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

After one flipping off the trailer episode, one rear end colision, one way too fast for the turn thing, and many miles in the brush I can say it holds up pretty darn well.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

My black plastic stayed without scratches for about one hour, On the trip home from the dealer show room it rained so when I got home I decided to dry it, well a swirl mark/scratch was left in the directions the towel wiped, incredable but oh well it's not noticable anymore because it all scratched I guess you can say sand blasted like form racing and geting hit at high speeds with air borne dirt from the dusty trails I ride.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want scratches leave it in the garage. Scratches are like scars.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

i am repainting my black plastics and i only had for a year now...

Quick Reply: Black plastic owners how does it hold up?