Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

thinking of buying my first ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying my first ATV

Hello all,

After much debate with the wife <G> I'm thinking of buying my 2 month old his first ATV. Actually it's my first one as well, but he can grow into it.

Anyway, I've been looking around at several models and I am intrieged with the Yamaha K-450 4x4. And after reading the review on this site a little more confident that I am making the right decision.

But with this being my first purchase what are the obvious questions I should ask?

Should I bother shopping dealers in area (DFW, TX)? Or will the prices be similiar. BTW, the total price I was quoted $6844. The unit itself is 6199, and the rest is destination, taxes (8.75%) and a couple of other fees. This also includes a 200.00 rebate.

I could save some money and look at the 400cc model but I like some of the extras on the 450.

How about resale value? Of course it will lose some but generally how much?

I also like the special financing that Yamaha has going, and that's a big reason I'm looking at the K450.

Thanks. I'm sure more questions will pop up.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you go? Central Yamaha and North Texas Yamaha should hook you up pretty good. Also, Action Power Sports in Ennis seems to be able to give you some real good deals. When I bought my bike, Action Power Sports was the cheapest one and all the other dealers had a lot of trouble matchin their price, but I didn't buy from them just because it was to long of a drive for me (3 hours just for a bike when there is a dealer about 30 minutes away is kind of retarded). But those are the companies I would look into if I were you.

As for what to do after you get it. Break it in properly for the first tank of gas and then change the oil in it. Just do regular maintanance on it. Utility quads are usually VERY reliable, and I have seen many people just ride them for over a year w/o ever changing the oil or cleaning the filter and they still ran fine, but if you change the oil regularly and clean the filter often, you should be able to keep your quad running like new for a LOOOONG time.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you are financing, do not go with the Yamaha credit card. We have a LOT of people complaining about getting hosed going this route. Welcome too the forums!

Old 05-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh yea..whatever you go with get a helmet and some ramps in on the deal. Honda makes the most reliable utility quads IMO.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Big Bear is a good solid quad and it costs less than the Kodiak.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I would shop around, some dealers even in the same area are more willing to make deals.

I have financed with yamaha for the past couple of years on different atvs, they are not bad, you just have to make that payment when it is due. I have not been hosed, except for them not finding a title and I had to get a duplicate.

What I do is use them for their low interest rate and then either pay it off, or finance it another way. I get about 10 credit card offers a week that have really low rates for the first year or so. I have bounced things around with credit cards before and it works too.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out.

Bat

Old 05-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: garyc660R
If you are financing, do not go with the Yamaha credit card. We have a LOT of people complaining about getting hosed going this route. Welcome too the forums!

Thanks for the welcome.

What's wrong with the Yamaha CC? I can understand having problems if one constantly made late payments but if paid on time how can they mess with you?

Thanks,
David

Old 05-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Oh yea..whatever you go with get a helmet and some ramps in on the deal. Honda makes the most reliable utility quads IMO.
I agree on the helmet. Actually my wife is insisting. <G>

Old 05-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Raptorx44
The Big Bear is a good solid quad and it costs less than the Kodiak.
I looked at the BB but they only had a 5(?) speed and I would perfer an automatic.

Thanks,
David

Old 05-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forum. get a private loan if you can.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying my first ATV