Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any experience jetting a Mikuni VM series?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 11:05 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Any experience jetting a Mikuni VM series?

I'm curious if anyone knows about jetting a VM 36 mikuni. It's the round slide. My Warrior gurgles badly at around 1/4 throttle when held steady. Tried pilot jets from 17.5 - 42.5 and all needle positions with no luck. I dont know whether to try a different slide cutout or maybe needle jet. I gave up messing with it and reinstalled my crappy stock carb while I figure this out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2003 | 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

The problem shouldn't be pilot jet or idle circuit if it idles ok. Tune the pilot jet & airscrew for idle only (see mikuni's guide to HSM carbs, same circuits - tuning is the same althogh this is a Harley replacement carb)...

Did you notice any difference by changing the needle position? If this didn't do it, float height is almost certainly the culprit!!! Try LOWERING your fuel level in the float bowl. Run it as low as you can until it starts stalling after long bursts of WOT - then raise it a touch. I think it should be around 12mm of fuel when the float shuts the needle valve - per the Warrior service manual I just downloaded; Why can't there be a WOLVERINE pdf service guide - if someone has this PLEASE POST A LINK!!!

Anyways, back to your dilemna - I found out during my own Mikuni carb adventure that float height can affect 1/4-3/4 throttle as much as needle clip position can (although there were a few naysayers)...

Try that. If not, I talked to a guy at Sudco who KNEW HIS STUFF about Mikuni carbs... call them for advice if you get stuck. Or pm me at scott.clark@sitel.com and I'll try to help with further detail as much as I can. That carb is supposed to be a high performance carb and shuld be tunable. Check the float height...

-scott

Old 06-03-2003 | 08:52 PM
|
Pro Rider

I could end the gurgle or at least minimize it by lowering the needle and leaning it way out. Then the machine had no throttle response at all, it would stall at the moment I would throttle up. It's somewhere in the range of the needle but not directly caused by it. I can get it to run okay at steady throttle but not acceleration and steady throttle. I could experiment with float height but I really think it's somewhere else.

Old 06-04-2003 | 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

How does it run at full throttle? do you know if you're close on the main jet or not? I still lean towards float height, I would definitely check that if nothing more obvious comes up...

Did you check the intake boot for tears and a good seal?

I would lean the needle back down to the "no gurgle" point - then try running with the choke and see if it gets better or worse...

these are all pretty random suggestions...