Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

You all sure do get excited easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You all sure do get excited easily

Not looking for an argument or anything, nut I’m surprised at how easy everyone gets excited. The YZF 450 sounds like a pretty good Quad, but I don’t think it’s going to change the world of ATV’s.

The motor will be powerful. But only because it will come from the factory more tuned than others, which means there is less left to do to increase power. That would be a good thing if the price was low, but if it costs as much as most believe it will then your just paying for the performance up front instead of tuning it yourself. It is good that it will be “ready to race” but it’s not a miracle.

Unless it handles like no Quad ever has before I don’t think it will anything special. It might be superior to others in its class like z400 and 400ex but I don’t think it will dominate all Quads ever made.

I hope it is all its been talked up to be and I like to see new models of better quads coming out because its good for the sport in general. But that is my honest opinion on the quad.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

The thing that I am most impressed with not only this quad but the industry in generals' attitude toward the consumer. They are finally starting to treat quads like they have thier mx bikes. I agree with you, that this quad is very similar to a lot of race quads already out there, and its nothing groundbreaking and earthshattering but the impressive thing is, its coming from the factory very close to what an mx style race quad is. And its coming out of one of the big fours factory.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

you're kidding right?

Not since the 250r has a company (Cannondale not included) built a quad like this. It's what everyone has been bitching to have since '89. Yeah it's not a 2 stroke but lets face it, 4 strokes are revving almost as high and as fast as 2 strokes now. You don't think it's going to change the ATV world? I say it already has..... Finally a company listened to what the people wanted and put it on the showroom floor. Sport ATV enthusiast have not been taken seriously for some time. The release of this quad proves that that is no longer true. If that isn't a change to the ATV world, I don't know what is.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with what is not exciting about this.
obviously its expensive but its still a way cheaper way then the 15 - 30,000 you have to spend now to get a competitive 250r or similar.
i think that the biggest thing with this quad is the weight its already so light from the factory

for me the only better thing is if they came out with a 2stroke version...

Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The MXers dont like NEW, GROUND breaking , improooved technology in their quads!!

If they did, C'dale would still be around, and the BIG FOUR would also be biulding aluminium framed quads, with EFI,and a cassett tranny!

How does anybody know that THIS IS THE ONE, or HONDSA's 450(if they come out with one). No one has ridden one of these quads yet,have they?? Is it because it is made buy the BIG FOUR!! C'mon guys, hopefully that is not the reason. I cant help but think that most people think they are back in the 80's when the BIG FOUR gave a crap!! They "USED" to give people what they wanted (250r,500 zilla, Banshee) But ot anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I always welcome a new High-performance quad into the industry, but this quad will be NO better than the Z400(modified for the same money), or the 400ex(modified for the same money),or the Preditor.

C''dale tried something different,and exciting, but the Masses were scared to death of it, cause it wasn't biult by Honda, or Yamaha.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

This will start a war I'm sure but this new quad isn't as great at a second look.

WR engine 439cc, 11.9:1, 39mm, 9 front, 10 rear, claimed 350 dry. Don't expect anymore than 34-36hp stock

Predator 499cc, 10.8:1 42mm, 10 front, 11 rear, known 415 dry.

It's not as wide, shorter wheel base, small gas tank, and hasn't been tested for 3 years like the Predator and it cost more.

Think the ATV world was already changed last November when the Predator was released to show room floors not now.

I'm waiting before I even think about getting one for the gf this thing might just suck and bend like a crushed soda can.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

the yz450 engine has like 50hp and the quad version is not as detuned as other quads so i could see it having 40hp easy
and its way lighter then the pred and you can take another 20lb with the kick starter.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'll delete the things I said and will say this: Let's not speculate until we've actually rode one. On paper, it's the quad I've been wanting. By the time I'm ready to buy maybe Honda will've pulled their heads out and release something better. I'd love to own any quad, I feel lucky to have 2 of them...peace!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

The only reason why polaris is not getting credit where it is due is becuase it doesnt meat the 440 class for racing. Well they are making a 440 jug should be out sometime near that will fix that issue than you will see what it is capable of. It will do very well on the racing circuit. This thing handles like no other, Yamaha better have as good as handling or they are in trouble with the price. Just because it is light doesnt mean it will handle. Havent ridden a yamaha yet that I called a good handling quad. Time will tell.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

bunch of haters.......

Quick Reply: You all sure do get excited easily