Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What parts do you need EXACTLY to fix the starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts do you need EXACTLY to fix the starter problem?

My bikes pissin me off it just sets there and spins till I rock it around and then it might finally hookup and start.... what parts will I need to fix this and fix it RIGHT so it won't happen again?

Old 06-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I just did this last week, so I can tell you. First of all, stop starting it. It throws pieces of the one way bearing in your engine. You need the starter clutch assembly, magneto side gasket and starter cover gasket. It's pretty easy. take off the starter cover, then take off the magneto cover. you have to have a flywheel puller, and pull off the flywheel. I just used a normal puller that I got from Napa autoparts. you pull the flywheel, and the starter bearing is atatched to the back of the flywheel. there is 6 5mm allen bolts you remove, then the starter bearing will come off. Then replace the new one, put the flywheel back on, you get the point. You do need an impact to takeoff the fywheel nut, andto put the flywheel back on. I believe it is a 19mm nut. tell me if you have any other questions.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

You'll need to replace the gear behind the one-way bearing as well, use a propane torch to heat the allen heads before you try to take them out.

Pro Rider

link

Link to a post a did a few months back.

/NotuRaptor2

Trailblazer

I highly recommend changing the 52T gear that the oneway bearing rides on, my gear showed more wear than the oneway itself did. I just changed mine this weekend. If you don't change the gear, it will damage the new oneway in no time. I know folks that decided not to change the gear and wound up changing it out even again, then doing it the right way.

BTW - this is eRAPTOID, I'm using my friends computer! ooops!

Old 06-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 6 allen bolts came off easy with an impact screw driver. Its a mechanical tool when hit with a hammer turns the socket the way you want to go. Its not the air impact tool but an impact tool used with a hammer. They came off with ease. Just get a good socket with that size allen on it and it will come off easy. One more thing, when removing the large nut that holds the magneto on, leave it on about 3 to 4 threads, that way when the you put the pressure on the fly wheel to remove it the magneto wont fly across the room when it does break loose.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
One more thing, when removing the large nut that holds the magneto on, leave it on about 3 to 4 threads, that way when the you put the pressure on the fly wheel to remove it the magneto wont fly across the room when it does break loose.
Sure, now you tell me. LOL. PS, It will fly across the room when it breaks free. Well, almost. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

whats the total cost on this? and will it happen again if i fix it?

Old 06-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Did anyone ever hear anything else on the guy that had posted the one way fix on here a while back? He had a one way that was not supposed to go out like the stock. Or did anyone ever check into the Rubicon fix that was posted a while back?

Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

it's on raptorytranny.com i think, but it says mid june it will be out or somthing, mines really bad now it won't hardly start so i can't really wait but i dont want it to break again!

Quick Reply: What parts do you need EXACTLY to fix the starter problem?