Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor carb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor carb question

Okay I found another problem with my Raptor. After I start it, it starts back firing through the carbs when I asked the dealer about this they told me they have had over 50 Raptors come in with the same problem and have to put a $30 piece that Yamaha made to fix the problem with the carbs falling out and causing it to do this. I then asked why this isn't covered by the warranty or recall,, they couldn't give me a staight answer... What a rip....

Old 06-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds to me like he is trying to rip you off. It can be fixed by carb adjustment.probably

Old 06-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the carbs adjusted and it still does it.. My brothers done the same thing and my 2 friends had the same thing happen on there 02s. We are taking them in Friday to get them fixed..

I am selling my Raptor after it is fixed for $4000.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

ROACH007- i had the same problem with the carb boots on my raptor until i put new carb boots on from WWW.UPPRACING.COM. and they have not given me a problem since.the stock carb boots on the raptor are a poor design to begin with because they bellow out and flex and over time this will weaken them and they will fail.if you go with the boots from upp it will solve your problem and it also is a much better way to secure your carbs to the boots because it is a much stiffer boot which will not lose shape under pressure and come off.the stock boots can seem as if they are secured properly and in fact they may not be which will let an excessive amount of air and make your motor run lean .as you can tell i am impressed with this product and can highly recommend it.your backfiring may be caused from a very lean condition from those boots not being secured properly-just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well I took my Raptor in along with 3 others today. Found out mine and my brothers friend is getting replace for free because of manufacture date, (i don't know so don't ask). The only thing I have to pay for is Labor at 26.50 a hour...

Old 06-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen,

One posssibility that you haven't explored is that your valves may be out of adjustment. There are no problems with the stock carb boots. If your bike is backfiring, there is a problem in the engine. Raptors, like other water cooled engines, are extremely bad about their valves tightening after break in and when the compression stroke comes around, the intakes are still partially open. This allows the combustion to blow back through the intake and blow the closed carburetor off of the boots. Adjusting your valves to the correct tolerances will eradicate this problem.

~Matt

Old 06-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my valves adjusted already and was not caused by this. If you start the Raptor up and watch the boot and carbs they are bouncing back and forth. It never backfired until the carbs got vibrated out of the boots. I talked to the service guy today and he said the new boot and the clamps will keep this from happening. He also showed me a new Raptor sitting on the floor was doing the same thing and they have the parts ordered to replace them..