Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

some banshee questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some banshee questions...

I've got some questions about the banshee, would it make a good trail machine? The kick start and lack of reverse don't mean anything, but reliability and ease of maintenence do. How long before the top end needs rebuilt? I have a warrior now, but it's going soon, I do alot of the trail stuff, water, mud, hills, etc. I've been looking at the raptor, z-400, but I like the 2 stroke idea, (I had a blaster before the warrior) just thought I'd ask, Thanks for the help...

Old 06-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing against the shee, but I don't understand the guys who want to buy a quad that is built for one thing(sand), then try to figure out a way to make it into something else. Why not get the quad that is built for what you do, then use the money to improve on what it already does well? Just a thought.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

the shee is a quad of its own you like it or you don't. its reliable if you take care of it. the shocks and handling aren't as good as the present day 4strokes but i think most poeple buy the banshee for the rush of the motor not the handling. so the choice is up to you see if you can ride it. i would have got one but i decided to go with the 450.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Trust me, the banshee is no mud machine at the least, but hills it will climb with ease and you should be ok in the water just not on slick rocks, theyre good for fast trail riding but theyre a#@!$ in tight ones finding the right power below or above the powerband is annoying on trails with pipes.You might have to rebuild once every 5/6 years if your lucky, but they are pretty reliable, well i know mine is.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hossblur
Nothing against the shee, but I don't understand the guys who want to buy a quad that is built for one thing(sand), then try to figure out a way to make it into something else. Why not get the quad that is built for what you do, then use the money to improve on what it already does well? Just a thought.
So the banshee is only for sand? hmmm you could be right...I'll consider that

Old 06-13-2003, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

It's not impossible to trail ride with a Banshee. I do it all the time. Are there better machine for what you wanna do with it? Yes! should you look at other quads? yes. Should you rule out the Banshee? No.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

The Banshee is very reliable - not a concern. As for trail riding, it depends on the type of trails. Slow rocky stuff is NOT fun on a banshee. Trails that are smooth and a little faster are great for the Banshee. As long as it's moving and you can run in 2nd gear or more you will be fine. The Banshee will overheat on the slow rocky stuff and that's the biggest problem. I run a 13 tooth sprocket for sand and trails and that helps.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Not only for sand, but lets face it, as much as we all hate it the shee owns the sand. That powerband makes it the ideal sand bike. It isn't as good for trails though. The biggest problem, as I see it is that the mods you would put on to make it a good trail quad, would ruin the sand machine aspect. I really would go for one of the 400's for the trails (warrior included). The raptor and DS are a little big for trails. Just my opinion, buy a bike for what you do the most, if you look you will see that the guys who run mostly sand are on DS, raptor and shees. The track and trail guys usually don't need to get near 75mph so what is the point in having a machine that can get you there? However I would say that most of the modern bikes are decent as all around bikes, the older ones (shees, 250R) are more geared to one style of riding (sand, track). Good luck!

Old 06-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Well said Hossblur.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have a shee and live in New Hampshire The only riding we really have is trails in the woods. I prefer 2 Strokes over 4 anyday you just can't beat the powerband. But to each his own you have to find what is good for you. Go to some ATV shows they might have a try before you buy or even at the dealer. Just bought a set of Toomey TR6 can't wait to get them