Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it hard to get into mx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hard to get into mx?

I really was thinking about chaning from a banshee to a dirtbike b/c it seems easy to get into moto cross. Is there any way to get into moto cross w/ a fourwheeler? I mean just like amature? And if so any near dallas or anything? If you have any info let me know.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Im not sure really?? but there is a or what seems to be a MX track near Redline Drag strip maybe you should go check it out. seems to be mostly dirtbikes but ive called them and they accept atvs there. looks really fun

Travis

Old 06-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I know there is a track somewhere between dallas and shreveport. My friend used to race there (he got 2nd or 3rd on a blaster in the beginner class thing so you should be fine). Actually I think there is more than one.

Old 06-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

MX on a quad is AWESOME. I love it, i could never ride the bikes on a track, i just could NEVER get the hang of it. I love the feeling of launching a 350 pound quad into the air and landin on three well-made suspension units... hahaha. #1 thing to get if you run MX is either a NICE set of shocks, or wider a-arms/axle if your quad isnt wide enough. At my local races, there are a pair of Z-400s, and they do really well, [im in a 4-stroke division, so i dont know too much about the R's and LT's] and a lot of 400EXs that are hooked up. If i was to advise a MX quad for you. I'd say 400EX. You can make them into MX killers. I absolutely LOVE my raptor on a track, and the SICK low end pull helps me a lot hitting doubles that a lot of people cant hit because of how close they are to the exit of the turn. BUT you will need a lot of money spent on the raptor to make it handle nice and comfortably. A stock Raptor is TERROR taking it on a track, you have to almost lean completely horizontal to keep it from tipping towards the outside of the turn. Also, the stock tires hook up TOO well, your nose will be sky high if you hit it hard coming out of a turn. The near-stock 400EXs i have ridden handled very well and i think would be very comfortable to someone just getting into quadcross. R's are known to be the king of quad cross, but for some reason i just prefer the thumpers, it gives me a Tim Allen Grunt when i fire up the big 660. Now, FIRST off, you definately want to purchase a nice net of nerfs and a nice teather kill switch, because in my first MX race [i had no nerfs... they werent required for some ODD reason] but i hit a double that noone was clearing and actually aired over the landing jump and onto the takeoff ramp on the following double, my left foot slipped off the peg, and i ran over my left ankle [thank GOD i was wearing some nice MX boots, and stayed on the quad] but nerfs could of saved me the swelling and the bruise. But yes, MX on a quad is great. At my track, the atvs actually outnumber the bikes quite often [not counting the little kids on 50cc's and 65cc's, cuz there are a million of those] You can get as deep as you want into the MX thing, if you just want to do it for fun, hook your quad up with some nice tires, nerfs, teather kill switch, pipe, and widen it if need be, and just chill while still being competitive. OR you can go so all out that it will make your head spin. You can spend 15 grand on go-fast goodies before you know it, it is crazy. I honestly think MX racing is one of the most entertaining forms of racing i do. [thats Jet-ski watercross, Late Model Stock Car, and Go-kart included] Just the thrill of hitting the finishline jump and getting sick air and pulling off a can-can under the lights in front of a full crowd is just undescribable. The time spent in the air on a quad is my time when time kind of stops, im weightless, and i feel free. [sounds like some ZEN $h!t right?? haha] Really, its very entertaining and pretty easy to get into. Just take it slow to begin with, dont get hurt, and most of all HAVE FUN!

-Alex

Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

maybe if you cant get in to that you should try dragracing your banshee. thats what they were built to do. put like a 535 or 585 powervalve on there. oh yeah. in atv sport magazine they had a big article on dragracing in texas. it is a half an hour south of Ft.worth, on i-35W (exit 32) you will see a small sign on the side of the road that says "Sand Drags". thats what the mag said. try going to texas sand drags.com

Old 06-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

You might try the site www.tqra.com They have their own MX series for quads only. They are racing in Nocona this weekend if you know where that is. They have good class break down and they Nocona track would be a good track to start at if you haven't done much Mxing yet. Just remember racing is expensive regardless of what type it is. Entry fees alone will be nearly $50, then all the other necessities that come along with it.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the reply guys.. i will check the websites and what not....

Old 06-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

My banshee is great on mx too, all the tracks down in ga have a quad class in them but i dont know about texas. traitor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] just kidding, dirtbikes are cool too.