Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler v. Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler v. Wolverine

The Wolverine handles better in my opinion along with many others. I have never had any problem staying with any bike on any straight stretch even before it was highly modified. Though the Scrambler does have more horsepower and is faster in a drag race, but you can boost the power of the Wolverine easily enough if power and speed is your goal to stay with even the fastest machines. I have put a fair amount of seat time on a Scrambler 400 4x4 and i can tell you that it is a very nice machine as well. Its my cousins bike and he runs it pretty hard sometimes and it has held up well. With your size the stock power of the Scrambler would be nice. The Wolverine in stock form is by far no slouch and it will outrun the most of the 500cc utilities, 250exs, a good rider could beat a 300ex, and it will run with any bike ive ever put it up against and tops out at 58mph. The Scrambler I rode toppped out at about 63mph but with a pipe, intake, torque stuffer, and jet kit I could run dead even with him. Both in stock form are very good trail machines. I personally like the Wolverine better and I dont really envy the Scrambler at all but I do respect it because its a well built bike. Try to ride both and make your choice.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I have ridden the scrambler. It is very powerful and very fast. We drove it like we stole it all day with no problems. It has stock tires. I took my wolv through clearcut logged land that has grown up for 5 years. It was nothing but 5 feet tall bundles of vines, briars, dead fall, skidder ruts and growing pines. The scrammy went everywhere my wolv went. The ONLY thing i kindof dislike about the scramblers 4x4 is that the rear wheels seem to have to slip before the front kick in (though there are very few situations where that truely seems to matter). When your straddle of a tree you dont necessarily want the quad that torqued up when the 4x4 engages. Its no biggie, just makes for a bit more energitic crossing. I honestly wouldnt care which one i owned. I am of the impression that the scrambler MAY be a slightly higher maintenance machine just due to its design but I personally have NO evidence to back that assumption up. The power is an absolute blast when you have the opportunity to use it. And it has more top end than you need for anything but pavement in my opinion. That being said, the wolv has enough top end for anything but pavement.

Old 07-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

All atv's will have a flaw that you won't like. I'd say stay away from polaris, unless you don't mind spending money on it often. The wolverine with a pipe, filter, jet kit, and cam will really wake the hell up! especially with the 424, you will be hitting 58-62mph. but then again.. your going that fast on the trail or on the roads? 50mph is pretty fast, so you shouldnt worry about it. how much time is 5mph going to save you? not much! ..

consider a bigbear 400 4x4, with a few mods, youll hit 50-50mph

Old 07-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

If you're going to listen to advice, at least take if from someone who owns a Polaris. It would also help if the person owns ANY quad. Polaris has come a long way with their reliability. They are as reliable as any of the others. All machines have their problems. I owned a Scrambler 500 before I bought my Predator. I really loved riding it. I put 2000 miles on it in six months. Before I bought the Pred, I thought it was perfect for me. Sometimes, I wished I still had some of the features of the Scrambler.

Stories of my brother's girlfriend's mother's sister, knew this guy, that heard his neighbors son had a Polaris, and had all kind of problems....are very tiresome.

You won't be disappointed with a Polaris. We have five of them. I recomend them highly. We've got 10,000 miles on them in the last 15 months. Lost a ball joint on one. NO belt problems. No other issues.

Scott

Old 07-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

Vampirerider,

I have a 01 volvy too. I am just wondering how you like your mods. Did it add more low end torque. How big are your vamps?

Thanks,

bighunter

Old 07-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

A big 6'2 guy would love a KFX700, it's got 2 liquid cooled wolverines inside but wieghs 50lbs less than a scram. No 4wd though, sorry.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Big Hunter,
I bought my wolv with the k&n and swampers already on it. Everyone says 26s are to big and they are right. For example, yesterday i went out in a pond and the water was over the tires. Well, The machine just didnt have the torque to spin them, even in 2wd. So i had to rev it and dump the clutch so to speak. That worked, but it was still bogging badly. This engine is about worn out and is smoking and rattleing. I am going to have to build the engine and i am seriously considering the stroker kit Mickey Dunlap offers that will raise the ccs to 430+. Thats about 650 bucks. All the same, the tires are just to big for it to turn with its kind of high 1st gear.

I am wondering about cooling issues if i make the engine bigger. Any one know if you can buy a bigger oil cooler to a wolv or put an electric fan on the cooler?

I think if the tires were 23s or 34s I might be ok without it. Someone said you lose about 10 % of your torque per tire size increase. I dont know if its true. The 424 is of course the only way to have a wolv.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

predator03, you are WRONG. you dont have to be a polaris owner to know that they aren't reliable. and your also WRONG about having to have a quad to know about them.

dude, your pretty big.. a wolvy might not pull you, go for the scram. but your sig says scram 500, so good luck

Old 07-21-2003, 05:01 PM
cop
Pro Rider

If you want a Machine that has a shifter , a lot of power, and 4 wheel/ 2 wheel drive get a suzuki Vinson 500 manual. It will smoke a scrambler 500, run over the top of a wolverine and run side by side with a Grizzly 660. This quad flat out kicks ***! The Vinson is a pure sport utility with all sport under the racks and utility. I have gone to the Hatfield and McCoy trails in West Virginia with my budddies and their sport machines (2 Raptors, 1 Scrambler 500 and 1 Warrior) I kept up with the Raptors on everything but the longer straightaways, I pulled away from the Warrior and the scambler. My Buddies who were laughing at me because I brought my 'Utility" quad on the trip were amazed at the performance of the vinson and my Vinson is an Automatic! The manual is quicker and faster than the Auto. To the thread that claimed a wolverine will do 58mph, HA HA HA! Try 49-51mph. A warrior will only run 56-57 mph.. A wolverine is an out dated outclassed pure utility quad with the racks removed. It has full time 4 wheel drive for christ sake, what does that tell you. The scrambler on the other hand is a fun machine but it handles funny at high speeds and you have to be careful.

Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: layke
predator03, you are WRONG. you dont have to be a polaris owner to know that they aren't reliable. and your also WRONG about having to have a quad to know about them.

Obviously, you did not read what I said. I did NOT say you HAD to have one to offer advice.

This is EXACTLY what I said:

If you're going to listen to advice, at least take if from someone who owns a Polaris. It would also help if the person owns ANY quad.

I did say that we have had very little trouble with ours. Which is true. I've put over five thousand miles on mine in the last 15 months. So, who would know more about Polaris? I was not attacking you personally.

It's gotten old. People getting on here, making suggestions, offering advice, without even having one. That is a very tiring thing to listen to. People are here looking for an informed opinion. Try offering one. Sorry if you think that is bad advice. Hundreds of thousands of Polaris have been sold. Many have NO problems. Even of the posts I've read concerning Polaris troubles, many can be contributed to the dealer. So maybe your post should have a disclaimer:

"I have not ever, nor do I currently own a Polaris".

At least someone would know whether or not to heed your advice.

Quick Reply: Scrambler v. Wolverine