Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler v. Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler v. Wolverine

I have read in many places the opinion that the wolv is outdated. I will agree that it is underpowered. And if you wish to compare air cooled to liquid cooled, one MIGHT say that is a disadvantage, but many of todays quads are still produced air cooled. I dont know enough about the subject to comment. With that said I am wondering how else it is outdated. With the Warn 424 you actually have a better 4x4 setup than any others I personally know of. ( I do not know about all 4x4s so here is an opportunity for me to get some teaching lol ). Here is my logic. It is 100% mechanical. If the warn 424 fails it will fail in the locked position because you have to pull the cable out of that position(I read that on another post on this board. Until that time i hadnt considered the design). As far as i can see, if one strokes the moter, puts in a Warn 424, adds a detroit gearless locker, it would be as bad as the kodiak 450, without the electronic 4x4 servo to mess up. To me the term outdated quad would be defined as a quad that cant be be brought up to todays standards via easily acquired aftermarket mods. I think its an exellent machine because of its proven durability, simple design, and ease of updating.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

this goes to cop trailblazer. i have a 2003 wolverine and i have had it checked with a radar and against my 2 cars and i get 58 with no mods.so that shows that a warrior would be in the 60's. so whoever you were riding with better get their machines tuned up.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

cop i have a 01 scrambler 500 and i have beat visions befor and mine handles good at top speed every qouad is not going to handle perfect at high speeds. i think that the scrambler is the bettetr choice iv never had a problems and its very reliable and fun to ride. and cop this was between scramblers and wolverines

Old 07-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Cop buddy I think you are over doing it there. First off...I was one of those guys who said the Wolverine in STOCK form would run 58mph. Yes Wolv03 you are correct. THe machine you rode with may have needed a tune up. When all I had was a pipe, intake, and jet kit, I was doing 49-51mph and shifting up. I have seen where Vinsons ran across the radar gun and the fastest they could top was 57mph, and the digital speedometer was off. As for you Vinson turning into a high performace bike, Im still waiting for that one. Im not doubting that its fast. A friend of mine used to have a Quadrunner 500 4x4, which would be slightly detuned compared to the Vinson but with the same engine. With a stock Wolverine I could outrun him in a drag race for top end and acceleration. Your Vinson would also outrun it as well, but the differences in your engine and his is that you have higher compression, a slightly larger carb, and the cam is slightly different and I think your valves are slightly different. Is that giong to make you run over Wolvernes??? I wouldnt say run over them, you might even be slower. There was a drag race at the local fair between a Wolf and a Vinson and the Wolverine pulled ahead and beat it. Im not saying that everytime you race them its going to be the same result either, but in this instance it lost. I also have a hard time believing that you dust Scramblers, well the first few years of scramblers were slower then the newer ones so that might help explain that. Warriors.....stock for stock I think one running good would take you. NO I am not saying your bike is slow. I know for a fact that that 500 will run, but as far as running over top of those other bikes, its hard to believe.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously, you did not read what I said. I did NOT say you HAD to have one to offer advice.
I did say that we have had very little trouble with ours. Which is true. I've put over five thousand miles on mine in the last 15 months. So, who would know more about Polaris? I was not attacking you personally.

It's gotten old. People getting on here, making suggestions, offering advice, without even having one. That is a very tiring thing to listen to. People are here looking for an informed opinion. Try offering one. Sorry if you think that is bad advice. Hundreds of thousands of Polaris have been sold. Many have NO problems. Even of the posts I've read concerning Polaris troubles, many can be contributed to the dealer. So maybe your post should have a disclaimer:

Predator03, why is it that you are always over here on the YAMAHA forum causing problems and pissing people off. i've never seen one of your posts where you are not offending someone or something

Old 07-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Predator03, why is it that you are always over here on the YAMAHA forum causing problems and pissing people off. i've never seen one of your posts where you are not offending someone or something[/quote]

First off, I am not ALWAYS anywhere. I don't care what forum this is, if someone is gonna make ridiculous statements, I'm going to call them on it. My intention is never to offend anyone. But there are some that come to these forums looking for good advice. It should be important to all the riders here to offer a well informed opinion. That doesn't always happen. If I came on here and said something stupid about a Yamaha, I would expect to be called on it too.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:33 PM
cop
Pro Rider

First off, my mph numbers are from my Garmin GPS. These numbers are also very close to what has been printed in all of the major ATV magazines. Any quad, Wolverine included, is a good quad as far as i'm conserned. It is just a fact that no stock Warrior will hit a TRUE 60mph. It will come extremely close but won't cross the threshold. A warrior is a legend of a machine that still is a good machine for beginers and intermediate drivers. A wolverine is not a four wheel drive version of the warrior. The wolverine uses a different,heavier frame, bigger heavier tires, and a heavier transmission because of the autoclutch, has a smaller carb, less agressive cam, uses heavier shaft drive and a weaker ignition (less spark=less power), for a grand total of 477lbs compared to 397lbs for a Warrior. with the combo of heavier machine and way less rear wheel horse power, there is no way that a wolverine will even come close to the Warriors near 60mph. And yes, a Manual Vinson 500 will out accelerate a Warrior and a scrambler500 (not a scambler 400) and keep pulling on the Warrior. The scamblers top speed is almost identical to a manual Vinson. An Auto Vinson will pull away from a rolling start. And yes, a quad is outdated if it has to have thousands put into it to even be competitive with a new class of machines.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

the wolverine and the warrior share the same top end, they are identical, piston, head, cam, valves, airbox, exhaust, crankshaft differs slightly to adapt to turn the auto clutch carrier but thats it for that. All of the major parts that are concerned in makeing power are the same with the exeption of a slightly larger carb. This only ads to a little more torque and slightly more hp out of the warrior. You are right that the weight is going to make a difference, the warrior is even with the wolverine through the first three gears and then the warrior will walk away. Top speed is alot closer when it all comes down to gearing because the wolverine has slightly larger tires adn that helps. It is very close and only differs by a couple mph. You would be surprised. There used to be a place on this site that would tell you that a Wolverine went through a speed check radar system at 58mph. I dont really care whether you believe it but Im telling you the honest truth, I have no reason to lie about it.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

424/ gearless locker combo is 517. stroker is 649. heck, throw in another 150 for unseen expenses. <shrug>

Old 07-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

I know this will ruffle a few feathers. About 4 years ago I was at a local fair. They had a mud bog competition. There were about 75 quads there. They had 2WD classes and 4WD classes in all different engine classes. There were 5 different Polaris's that broke down or had problems. Two guys stalled in the middle of the mud pit and wouldn't start. One guy couldn't get the 4WD to work. One made some kind of loud clicking noises that everyone in the audience heard including the anouncer. One guy smoked the hell out of his belt. He had to sit in the mud pit awhile to let it cool down. Out of all the ATV's there, and there were alot of different brands, only Polaris quads had problems.
I was talking to a guy another time, who belongs to an ATV club. They put on a poker run once a year. He said every time they always have to go in and tow out guys who broke down. He said most of the time its a Polaris.

Quick Reply: Scrambler v. Wolverine