Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler v. Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler v. Wolverine

I am new to the sport of ATVing and was wondering which quad is better for me, the
2003 Yamaha Wolverine or the 2003 Polaris Scrambler 500. I am a big guy, about 6'2"
300 lbs. and was wondering what the pros and cons were of these two quads and any
other info about them. I plan to do mostly trail riding but might do some dune riding and
jumping, also I want to use it in the snow so I would prefer a 4x4, but have been hearing
from some dealers that 4x4 doesnt make that much of a difference. Personally I think
they are just trying to sell me what they have in stock, but it would be interesting to hear
what experienced people have to say. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I personally owned both quads. I am a pretty big guy also. Personally, I liked the wolverine much better than the Scrambler as it felt more sporty. The Scrambler is more powerful, fits my size a little better, has on command 4x4 and a plusher suspension. The automatic tranny, full floorboards, and mass gave it more of a "utiliy" feel. I was kind of scared jumping such a large machine, but it faired o.k. It was not very reliable either, and I hated the chain drive. It was by no means slow though. The wolverine on the other hand is light, responsive, easy steering, has a good suspension, shaft drive well built and has pretty decent power for a 350. It is the most reliable quad I have owned! The downsides are it is full time 4x4, somewhat outdated (the engine) and is not as powerful as the scrambler.
For me, 4x4 is a necesity! I am always having to use 4x4 to get out of situations. I owned one 2x4 quad but have never owned one since. Trust me, you will not regret having a 4x4. I always take my wolverine to the dunes and it is great! To me, It is good at jumping (considering it is a sport utility). Me, I would definately pick a BLUE wolverine any day over the 500 h.o srambler I owned. I would recommend that if you chose a wolverine that you pipe and jet it and get an unlocker for it. You will not regret it! Good luck with your decision

Old 06-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

the scrambler will have more power, id opt for the scram except its an auto, and chain drive. polaris is reliable

Old 06-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think Big 4x4 hit the nail on the head with his summary. The Polaris is bigger, faster and has more power than the Wolverine. But I think the Wolverine handles better and has a more sporty feel when riding. In my opinion Polaris has a reliability problem. I know Polaris owners don't like to hear that. I've had friends that owned Polaris and they had lots of problems, even when their machines were new. Anyways, take Big 4x4's advice. That's All I can say. Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

i would buy the scrambler polaris did have reliability problems back when they first got in the game but tell me who hasnt polaris now is more reliable than most big companies out there if you want to talk about reliability lets talk about yamahas nowadays there reliability is worse than anything out there right now

Old 06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

thanks guys it helped a lot

Old 06-27-2003, 04:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

cough cough,,,,,,)*(&($#*^_*$^_$*^_

Scrambler, by a couple decades.........

Old 06-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummmm, that coughing can be cured you know, just stop ingesting all that dust/smoke from belt drives........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The Scrammy is much faster, no doubt. It will win every race to the repair shop..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have a wolverine. I put the unlocker on it and that helped the handling and ease of steering alot. I am about to borrow my cousins 01 scrammy just to see how it does. I'll post my opinion. OH, he didnt ride his much and the diaphram in the carb fouled up. The diaphram was 60 dollars. I dont know if it failed due to sitting in gas for 6 to 8 months or if there is another reason.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

I plan on doing mostly trail riding, but some dunes and the track are possibilities, which one would u recommend?

Quick Reply: Scrambler v. Wolverine