Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are people obsessed with exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are people obsessed with exhaust?

I know they add alot on two strokes. I have a few. IMO though, the mod that adds the most power for the cheapest on a four stroke is compression + cam, which comes out cheaper than a pipe. Then you can buy a filter and partially gut your stock pipe and end up alot better off than if you just bought a pipe and filter for about the same price. NExt quad I buy (unless its a banshee which I doubt because I have the street bike), first thing im getting is a cam. That way I wont have to buy new rockers and shafts or followers later. I guess ill quit complaining now though, im holding 300 dollars of OEM parts in ONE hand. Thats just wrong............

Old 06-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

White Brothers Pro Meg claims to add at least 4 hp

Old 06-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Dont believe everything you read.
That would be like 27% extra hp for a 300ex.

Old 06-27-2003, 11:48 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I am obsessed with mine and there all stock pipes. I go get a bucket full of water and then get two towels and wet with one and dry with the other and make them look clean and pretty.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2003, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

I haven't tried a Pro Meg on the Dyno yet but a cheap DG Krome and K+N on a 300EX is good for 3.6HP from 18 to 21.6 at the wheels.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

For example, a yoshimura raptor system is 500 bucks. What would be faster. A raptor with a cam, piston, partially gutted stocker, no airbox lid, K&N filter, sprocket change, etc.... or one with all your money spent on a 500 dollar exhaust? Just saying, exhaust definately isint the best bang for the buck. You could get a nitrous system cheaper than some of the full exhaust systems.

Also, quit throwing in K&N. I didnt say there was anything wrong with it. You cant guage a pipes addition by how much it gives when you add it AND a K&N AND remove the airbox. You can do those things independant of a pipe and get a gain, thats two different products.

Science you test one thing at a time. You got 3.6 hp from a pipe AND a filter.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I'll chip in a couple cents worth. Look at dyno charts from pipe manufacturers. When they show, say, a 6 horsepower increase, look at where it happens in the rpm range. Usually, peak hp improvements are way less, but they will compare numbers in the way high rpm range where the factory pipe has fallen dramatically at like 7800 rpm and the aftermarket one hasn't dropped off much yet. So at one narrow point in the powerband there really is that 6 hp increase over stock, but that's not peak power versus peak power. Speaking mostly in 4 stroke terms here. Yes the pipe does add, and it's a worthwhile investment especially working in concert with other mods, but study carefully the claims and the dyno charts or you might look kinda naive saying "yep I picked up 27 horses on this Raptor with just a pipe."

Old 06-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Here's my spin on the pipe excitement:

Replacing the stock pipe with a good aftermarket pipe usually (if not always) increases power. Maybe not much, but some....and this combined with the fact that It's something ANYBODY and EVERYBODY can do makes it a big seller. It's really about the simplest performance mod out there and requires no serious wrenching, special tools, or engine savy. Virtually anyone can do it - hence the high demand and sales.

It's a pretty good bang-for-the-buck for the general rider......

IMO

Old 06-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Jakal, you have tunnel vission here.... open up your eyes please. I would like to say that out of most ATV riders that do mod the engines they don't want to dip into/ dont know they can dip into the engine. 11:1 will cost more because you need to buy better gas, and decreases reliability in a machine. The Pipe and intake are basic mods that are easy for the doit yourselfer.... cam + piston + hone + springs = close to 500$ after tax shipping... Then comes the gaskets and the little dingers you lose along the way. PEOPLE DONT LIKE TO DO THAT. Well the normal ones anyways, some people do like power and the looks of there quad, but don't want to spend all that time and money to make it fast! - but at the same time less reliable and more time maintaining the machine. I like the mods I have, 11:1 cam springs pipe intake and all that good stuff, but other people dont want all that, so the market can make money off those people and everyone, because we all agree to pay that price for the pipes. If we didnt then they would be cheaper.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry Jackal, didn't mean to comfuse you. of course we tested one at a time. It's just that the exhaust alone gives 2.4 hp, the K+N alone only gives .5 hp, to take full advantage of the exhaust, you need the K+N.
The DG did loss a little power a low RPM (2000-3000) but gained everywhere else.

Quick Reply: Why are people obsessed with exhaust?