Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ 450 Ride reveiw!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 450 Ride reveiw!!

Well I rode my YFZ 450 today for 75 miles so I got a great amount of time on it. I know my banshee will be parked from here on out. My YFZ is bone stock and here is my ride review, The power is awesome it is almost identical to a Piped raptor but it revs higher. it pulls from just off bottom to the top, and it pulls hard, the gearing in first gear is a little tall for trail riding but that is ok it is a race bike, the gearing overall is really good, the suspension is a little stiff for trails, it might get softer as it breaks in, but for landing jumps the suspension is awesome, i got about 4 feet of air and 20 feet distance to a flat landing and it was awesome. It doesnt wheelie really easy, if you get on it hard the front wheels will come up about a foot, I am sure they will come up more if you try harder. However if you try to wheelie over a bump the machine will carry the tires until the rear tires clear it than all 4 settle on the ground and you are screaming forward. I also did some steep hillclimbs with it, the front stayed planted and the machine just ripped up them. the suspension gets better the faster you go. this machine is really a awesome race machine and i love it. some people will find the suspension and seat a little stiff. If you trail ride and dont like to ride hard I would recomend a Trail machine like a Raptor or 400ex or DS 650 or Z 400. But when I trail ride I ride fast and this machine is just awesome.

I know everybody wants to know how it compares to other machines. So here is what I rode with today, Piped Raptor geared down, Piped Banshee, Predator with k&n filter, Predator with k&n and geared down. I drag raced all of them on dirt and pavement and this is how they compare.

YFZ VS Banshee, the YFZ pulled the banshee in the lower gears but the banshee pulled in the upper gears and passed the YFZ and topped out about 7 mph faster.

YFZ VS Predators. the YFZ ran really even with the Predators, the YFZ did pull better through the gears and could pull a 2 bike lead by 4 Igear, Both predators had k&n filters, the one predator that was stock geared could go faster top speed than the YFZ I used my gps to get speed readings of the YFZ and predators. My YFZ topped out at 68.5mph on flat ground the geared down predtor was 68.3mph and the stock geared predator was 73.5mph, these speeds where on pavement at 6000 feet elevation.

YFZ vs Piped Raptor. This was the same as the stock predator, The YFZ pulled a lead a 2 bike lead by 4 gear but the Raptor could pass the YFZ in the long run since the raptor was topping out over 70 mph. the Raptor was running a CT pipe and a CT alluminum airbox with a k&n filter.

so the YFZ was faster than everything in the short run. the banshee was the fastest in the upper gears. but of all the the four strokes my stock YFZ was the fastest acceralting bike with the Stock Predator and the Piped Raptor topping out at higher mph

I am glad I purchased this bike it is alot of fun to push this bike hard and air things out a little, the fit and finish is awesome when compared to a Predator. I hope everybody else enjoys this bike as much as I do

Old 06-29-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the awsome report

Old 06-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

Good report...thanx

Old 06-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Just wondering if you think the Predator would have did better if it could be powershifted like other manual quads? I'm just curious as to how much not being able to power shift may be hurting the Predator. I don't race mine so I honestly wouldn't know. Polaris knocking off some weight could help too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I also want to say congratulations on that sweet machine. I like how they extended the plastic on the sides out and around the radiator! I hope Fullbore or Polaris come out with different side pannels that do that for the Predator too.

Enjoy your new quad, I know how I felt when I first brought my Predator home after 4 months of waiting for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Later,

Old 06-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I also agree, Good report. Its nice to read an honest opinion. Thanks

Old 06-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

SWEET! Thanks for the great report! I can just imagine how that quads gonna perform after a few mods! Not bad performance either for a 450 versus 500 and up quads, except for the Banshee. Well, any-one need a roomate, cuz the wifes gonna leave me when I bring home the 450!!!LOL

Old 06-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

TLD , Its good to see a Yamaha person write something with the name predator in it and not bash it. Isnt it?

Old 06-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

was your YFZ equiped with stock factory jetting or was the jetting changed by the dealer for 6000 ' ?

Also, very nice report about your new machine.. Anything else you can add about your recent riding?

Old 06-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

He was getting through the gears just fine on the Predator, i wasnt powershifting either, we were both using the clutch. the Predator did just fine, the YFZ just revs a little faster and higher. I think the Predator has more hop-up available for the engine than the YFZ. spend the 1000 dollars more that the YFZ is than the Predator into the Predators engine and it will be faster.

As far as i know my jetting is stock, so it is setup for sea level. I rode clear up to 9500 feet today and didnt have any problem with it until I was over 9000 feet. I will run the jetting how it is until I get my HMF slip-on exhaust.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

nccracing, I agree.

cpcpatriot, I thought the Predator revved pretty dang fast and if the YFZ revs faster yet, it sounds like you'll need lightning hands for the first 3 gears atleast. Like others have said just wait till you pull out the baffle, remove the air box lid and rejet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

So how long do you think it will be before the Perma grin starts to fade from todays ride? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: YFZ 450 Ride reveiw!!